Bought the wrong hops. What to do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanMSE

Reaction score
So... Being rather tired I accidentally bought 100g of comet hops.
I've since bought the correct hop for my recipe.
But now have 100g of comet to use up.

My two thoughts are.

1) get some pale malt and use it for a SMASH.

2) mix up the leftover grain I have and have some kind of weird concoction and hope something half decent comes out. (Pilsner, Maris otter, carapils, Vienna, aromatic, biscuit)

What would you do? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

I would leave out the aromatic and biscuit malt and put together a grain bill with the rest of the grain as this seems to be a tropical flavoured hop with grapefruit and citrus so would let it shine through. If you have any other hops maybe use them for bittering leaving comet for late edition and hop stand/dry hop.

What was the correct hop? I vote for a smash or thereabouts, you might find out you like comet. I think using it in something hastily thrown together is asking for disaster. But what do I know, it might also be the best beer you ever brewed.

ETA: as @Gerryjo says, if you want to use your existing malts, go for the base malts (MO and Pilsner), maybe a bit of carapils, and you’ve got the grain bill more or less for a golden/pale ale.

Buy the right hop and use that now, but keep the Comet unopened until you find something you fancy doing with a proper recipe rather than a bodge to use them up.

Oh yeah, totally, I've already bought the correct hop.

Hence I'm trying to figure out what to do with the comet,
But yeah, the bodging stuff together with leftovers is looking like it's off the table as an option

Like everyone else has said use them for a nice lager, pale or IPA.

A word of usage warning. Comet is SUPER high in cohumulone and therefore will be MEGA harsh if you use it hot side. Cold side its like a super clean grapefruit flavor and aroma hop. Of which on its own or mixed up with other hops is lovely.

Either way use it correctly and you wont be disappointed.

Like everyone else has said use them for a nice lager, pale or IPA.

A word of usage warning. Comet is SUPER high in cohumulone and therefore will be MEGA harsh if you use it hot side. Cold side its like a super clean grapefruit flavor and aroma hop. Of which on its own or mixed up with other hops is lovely.

Either way use it correctly and you wont be disappointed.

Hmmmmm, now I might just be lazy. I just realised I've got a can of Wilko IPA kit (which is probably going off soon) that I could use rather than doing a proper brew

Back