Bournemouth

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastersmithson

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone lives in the Bournemouth area? I'm new to this so would be great to meet someone local for tips and advice!

We are a bit shy of members in that area -

Full map - HERE

bbbbbb.jpg

Helloo, Mastersithson.
I lived in Parkstone for mega-yonks (not the posh part), which is close enough. Good, hard water for brewing bitters and ipas. Moved down south a few years ago. Whereabouts in Bournemouth are you?
The one and only thing I regret about moving is the Poole Beer Festival in St Aldhelm's Church back yard. Best Fest in the world, and I've been to many. The one at the BIC (if it's still going) is craap.
What sort of stuff do you like to brew, by the way?

Helloo, Mastersithson.
I lived in Parkstone for mega-yonks (not the posh part), which is close enough. Good, hard water for brewing bitters and ipas. Moved down south a few years ago. Whereabouts in Bournemouth are you?
The one and only thing I regret about moving is the Poole Beer Festival in St Aldhelm's Church back yard. Best Fest in the world, and I've been to many. The one at the BIC (if it's still going) is craap.

Heya An! I used to live in Parkstone as well! I live in West Howe at the moment. It's not as bad as they make out haha.

I havnt brewed anything yet! I'm about to buy a starter kit and brew lager but I'm very new and totally lost about it all! People are using all these new words haha

If you haven't started yet, I'd recommend you get a book to get you grounded. Greg Hughes is considered "the Bible" by many, and he's OK.
West Howe's not far from The Shoulder of Mutton, if my memory serves.

Are you on Facebook? There's a group called 'wessex brewers group'. Several members your way and there are regular (monthly) meets in Poole area. I'm DT1, sometimes meet up in the Brewhouse Dorchester.

If you haven't started yet, I'd recommend you get a book to get you grounded. Greg Hughes is considered "the Bible" by many, and he's OK.
West Howe's not far from The Shoulder of Mutton, if my memory serves.

It's about 5 mins away from me! I've seen it but never been there.

Are you on Facebook? There's a group called 'wessex brewers group'. Several members your way and there are regular (monthly) meets in Poole area. I'm DT1, sometimes meet up in the Brewhouse Dorchester.

I'll look now and join :-)

I can see that you've joined the FB group. Interesting profile photo!!! Hopefully someone will be in touch.

Haha yeah! Went to forde abbey a little while ago with the Mrs and kids and I got to dress up as a monk! Maybe I should make mead instead? Haha

Is it me or is the new map a bit shy of members?

For some reason I’m missing off the map to start with?

The original map had a limit on numbers you could add without paying and we soon hit that number so i switched to this one and started again.

If any members are missing look for the map thread at the top of the introduction forum.

Helloo, Mastersithson.
Do you Know the Bournemouth area water profile

I could look it up, but it would be 10 years put of date. In any case the water was very hard. I used to collect rainwater for Pilsners.
If I were you, I'd get a couple of Salifert kits, one for carbonate hardness and one for calcium.
I don't think water reports will be very reliable at the moment.

I'm just outside Romsey.
You can look it up on the Bournemouth water website. We get supplied by them (no hosepipe ban yet 🍻). They seem to update it every 6/12 months. I use it it for my water profile: Water quality postcode search

If you need any help deciphering it and putting it into brufather/whatever, give me a shout
I don't think water reports will be very reliable at the moment.
That's probably trueish, but it'll be close enough for brewing purposes, even if it's out by a bit due to the drought.

Helloo, Mastersithson.

I'm just outside Romsey.

You can look it up on the Bournemouth water website. We get supplied by them (no hosepipe ban yet 🍻). They seem to update it every 6/12 months. I use it it for my water profile: Water quality postcode search

If you need any help deciphering it and putting it into brufather/whatever, give me a shout

That's probably trueish, but it'll be close enough for brewing purposes, even if it's out by a bit due to the drought.
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at that. Could not find all we need.

Back