Brakewind Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got my version of Brakspear Bitter brewed today in spite of the tornadoes that roared through the midwestern US today. To be fair there were non in the nearby vicinity but we were under tornado warning whilst I was brewing. On forum chat, PiddleDribble dubbed it Brakewind Bitter. :thumb:

I have never had draught Brakspear so I wasn't exactly sure what I was aiming for. I used GW's recipe as a starting point but bittered with Fuggles instead of Challenger and used chocolate malt instead of black. I also removed the sugar and bumped up the pale malt. I ended up with 19ltr at 1.043. I pitched a smack pack of Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. This will go in the second polypin and be served from the hand pull.

I hope the brew doesn't have the destructive force of the tornadoes reported to have occurred in the US states of Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky, killing at least five people, levelling houses and overturning vehicles whilst you were brewing.

A bit of wind is acceptable.

Fortunately, I am far enough north of the destruction that we were mostly missed. At the time, I didn't realize how bad my neighbors to the south were getting hit. :-(

Jim,
I've got a couple of gallons of Directors left. Depends on how quickly I drink it!

I'll probably start drinking this new one around Christmas time.

Thanks Dennis. I really had no idea how bad it was in some parts of the country at the time. Quite a bit of devastation out there.

On a lighter note, I just noticed the airlock was clogged with Krausen already. I could have had a mess down here if I hadn't seen it! I pulled the airlock and just set the FV lid on top. Seems to be quite an active ferment!

Brakespears is an ale with a hoppy kick to it. Tastes a bit like marmalade. Or Admiral Ale from St Austell’s brewery Cornwall which is also available across the UK in Marks & Spencer in their bottle-conditioned range, also available by mail order.

I almost added a "hint hint evanvine" on my last comment. I'm certainly not going to know where to look! I see a challenge.

Good luck phettebs - Hope the weather keeps away.

Did you see this thread with posts from commercially-experienced member 'Hoppy' last week (8th post onwards, I think)? When you said you'd left out the sugar, it reminded me. Interesting info, I thought.

Back