Brakspear bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Just bottled up 14 assorted sized bottles of a 'tinkered with' Brakspear recipie.
Initial (on bottling) aroma and taste points to possibly my best bitter brew to date.Time will tell:grin:
6 litre batch. BIAB(dunk sparge). 90 min mash. 70 min boil.
660 grm Irish pale malt
310 grm Irish stout malt
27 grm crystal malt(90L)
8 grm black malt
20 grm flaked barley
8 grm Challenger pellets 70 min
1/2 protofloc tablet 15 min
4 grm Styrian goldings pellets 2 min
4 grm styrian goldings pellets dry hop 5 days
1/2 pack gervin yeast re hydrated
OG 1.036
FG 1.007/8
ABV 3.75% IBU 30.52 SRM 9.81

I'm currently making my way through a batch of bitter with the same OG/FG, but I'm finding it too dry/light of body. If I was to do the same again using notty, I'd defiantly either mash higher than the 66C I mashed at or add more crystal or both. Flavour wise though its quite good

I'm currently making my way through a batch of bitter with the same OG/FG, but I'm finding it too dry/light of body. If I was to do the same again using notty, I'd defiantly either mash higher than the 66C I mashed at or add more crystal or both. Flavour wise though its quite good
Hoping the flaked barley will add something to this:)

Mmmmmmmmmmm
not great at all. Not nasty just boringly mundane.
What is it about bitter that seems to make it hard to come up with something really good.:twisted::twisted:

I think were spoilt by all the variety and exoctic beer styles that are now out their. Bitter just seems pedestrian. Not for me though, I love bitter. I've just pitched the yeast into a First Gold/Hallertau Mittelfrauh bitter

I think were spoilt by all the variety and exoctic beer styles that are now out their. Bitter just seems pedestrian. Not for me though, I love bitter. I've just pitched the yeast into a First Gold/Hallertau Mittelfrauh bitter
Out of many betters,i have done one really nice one and that was extract,all the others have been mundane and lacking.
IPA's,APA's,Pales,Stouts etc etc not a problem,arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:lol:

Out of many betters,i have done one really nice one and that was extract,all the others have been mundane and lacking.
IPA's,APA's,Pales,Stouts etc etc not a problem,arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:lol:

What yeast have you used? Have you tried a 'proper' English liquid (or cultured up from a bottle) strain. As bitter are yeast driven of course, and perhaps that's what your finding lacking?

What yeast have you used? Have you tried a 'proper' English liquid (or cultured up from a bottle) strain. As bitter are yeast driven of course, and perhaps that's what your finding lacking?
Only dried yeast's. Not progressed as far as culturing my own up!.

Only dried yeast's. Not progressed as far as culturing my own up!.

That'll be it then. Whilst I'm happy to drink bitters made with dried yeast (and I love the convenience), the bitters I've made with cultured up strains are far superior to the bitters I've made with dried yeast (It's definately the yeast, as I have a bitter reciepe that I use across the board).
If you regularly make bitter, it's definatley worth culturing up some 'proper' bitter yeast

That'll be it then. Whilst I'm happy to drink bitters made with dried yeast (and I love the convenience), the bitters I've made with cultured up strains are far superior to the bitters I've made with dried yeast (It's definately the yeast, as I have a bitter reciepe that I use across the board).
If you regularly make bitter, it's definatley worth culturing up some 'proper' bitter yeast
Will probably give them a miss from here on in.Not sure if i can be a###d to get into culturing!.
Think i will stick to my proven beers.Just had feedback on a Mango Pale which has gone down really well:)
Nathen, who wants 12 bottles of so so bitter:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back