Branded Growlers from iKegger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillc

Regular.
Reaction score
A friend and I recently bought some branded growlers from iKegger and I thought to write a short review of the transaction.

The rationale behind the purchase was that we like to share our beer with friends and colleagues, but as we both keg, transferring to 500ml bottles was a bit tiresome. Not to mention washing all those bottles, which we thought to avoid when going to kegs. The solution was instead to use 2L growlers. We also thought that branding them would be a fun idea.

After writing to a few different suppliers, we decided to go with iKegger. They were able to sell us a minimum of 24 growlers with our own branding. Not a cheap exercise, but sometimes something like this just needs to be done. Still, I thought the overall price from iKegger was pretty reasonable, hence our decision initially to go with them.

My original email inquiry to iKegger was on October 27th, 2020 and the branded growlers arrived with me yesterday, December 8th.

From start to finish the whole process was a pleasure. Customer service was spot on and we were kept informed throughout. We had to supply our own artwork, but then were able to discuss size, location and printing method (we went with screen printing rather than acid etching, as we thought it looked better for a solid black logo).

The growlers are double walled, so well insulated. I also bought an adapter for the top, so they can be filled under pressure using a normal mini-keg spear. I can also purge the O2 as well using this method. I then imagine quickly swapping the spear and adapter for the normal screw top before distributing.

Just need to figure out how to dry them after washing now, because they won't fit on my usual bottle rack.

Also worth mentioning is that my friend brews in Ireland and I'm in Austria. iKegger were willing to send 12 growlers to each location, without any additional delivery costs. I also bought a bunch of other things (like a Snub Nose pressure fermenter) at the same time, which they bundled up into one delivery.

Generally, impressed with the product, service and supplier.

photo_2020-12-09_12-34-41.jpg

Last edited:
They look good - I have a Grainfather branded one 2 Litre with the swing top type close - useful for any beers that come from the keg a bit too lively to let it settle and for taking for trips away etc. and they do keep the beer cold and fresh for a while
The tap attachment is that from iKegger?
I've seen some dispense type attachments but not sure on compatability with what you have there

Yes, the tap attachment (spear) is also from iKegger, but I think it's a pretty standard item. I've bought the same thing with mini-kegs before.

Example pics:

Adapter
1607535383260.png

Spear

1607535506967.png

I think these growlers should be a good solution for distributing beers on a Friday to colleagues, as long as they drink them over the weekend.

Although, I did also wonder about sugar priming direct into the growlers. I've done that before with 2L glass growlers I've picked up from various places. Seems to work alright, but really means filling them direct from the fermenter, which limits general application.

Interesting thanks for the tip with the attachment for the spear will keep a look out - would the fermentation be a pain to maintain to temp with the double walled stainless steel (hard to cool/ heat the liquid to the correct temp)

I don't envision actually fermenting in the growlers, just transferring to them under pressure from a corny keg.

Back