Bread from spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on the east coast of Canada this past summer and the mrs and I found a wonderful little gastro brew pub. As they made 5 or 6 of their own beers, they had an abundance of spent grains etc. The chef there, made different breads and crackers from them that were outstanding. There was something special when you got a bowl of wonderful soup that had the bread and beer "paired" to the meal....The breads seemed heartier than the breads I normally eat but were delish...

I've been using @fury_tea 's spent grain bread recipe in the OP for a while, with a few tweaks to suit my bread maker.....

Since I was bottling my Munich Helles last night and had way more yeast then I could harvest I decided to combine the spent grain with @Dutto 's recipe for using beer yeast...

(also switched from Allinson's flour to Waitrose Canadian flour)

Pretty pleased with the result:
20191111_075636.jpg

20191111_075757.jpg

And a poached egg on toast for breakfast:
20191111_081140.jpg

Last edited:
...(also switched from Allinson's flour to Waitrose Canadian flour)....
A good move.
I recommend Canadian Very Strong Bread Flour to anyone making their own bread, especially if you are using a breadmaker, where it will make a real difference to the quality of the loaves produced.
And if anyone is thinking of buying a breadmaker buy a Panasonic. Ours is now well over five years old and no sign of it giving up unlike previous cheaper breadmakers which have only lasted 1/2 years before the tin gland wore out or it failed for some other reason. And importantly the quality of the loaves the Panasonic produces is better than all of the others we have had too.

Yeah, mine's a Panasonic too, I've had it about 3.5 years I think. I'm pleased with it but I do always seem to end up with quite a ski slope shaped loaf as shown, and not as much rise as I might have expected.

Mind you, don't know why it hasn't occurred to me sooner to try a different flour, or indeed something other than the dried Allinson's yeast I normally use. Might just be I need to use more flour though (say, 500 or 600g instead of the 400g I normally use)

Yeah, mine's a Panasonic too, I've had it about 3.5 years I think. I'm pleased with it but I do always seem to end up with quite a ski slope shaped loaf as shown, and not as much rise as I might have expected.

Mind you, don't know why it hasn't occurred to me sooner to try a different flour, or indeed something other than the dried Allinson's yeast I normally use. Might just be I need to use more flour though (say, 500 or 600g instead of the 400g I normally use)
We make about 3 to 4 loaves a week and use Allinsons Easy Bake yeast. However when you start to get to the bottom of the tin the yeast sometimes gets stale (even though after opening the tin is kept in the fridge) and the rise is not so good, so we might end up binning it and opening a fresh tin. We also found Doves yeast wasn't as good. And if you use 'ordinary' dried bread yeast by mistake it produces a much lower rise.
If it helps, our loaves are 450g flour (usually half white, half wholemeal or sometimes granary, or thereabouts) , one measuring tsp salt, one tsp yeast, one tsp sugar, 335g water, 1 tbs butter, baked on large loaf, setting 4* wholewheat. The loaves produced are usually evenly shaped and well risen, especially with the Canadian flour.
PS * The 'quickbake' settings e.g setting 5 do not produce a loaf with a rise as good as the longer settings. And we often leave our bread on the longest time setting 13 hours so it is set up to run overnight to be finished baking the following morning.

Last edited:
Like others, I've used grains and beer yeast in bread, but for an extra beery dimension, I have used the waste from yeast starters in place of water. My wife hates beer and loves the bread...

We make about 3 to 4 loaves a week and use Allinsons Easy Bake yeast. However when you start to get to the bottom of the tin the yeast sometimes gets stale (even though after opening the tin is kept in the fridge) and the rise is not so good, so we might end up binning it and opening a fresh tin. We also found Doves yeast wasn't as good. And if you use 'ordinary' dried bread yeast by mistake it produces a much lower rise.
If it helps, our loaves are 450g flour (usually half white, half wholemeal or sometimes granary, or thereabouts) , one measuring tsp salt, one tsp yeast, one tsp sugar, 335g water, 1 tbs butter, baked on large loaf, setting 4* wholewheat. The loaves produced are usually evenly shaped and well risen, especially with the Canadian flour.
PS * The 'quickbake' settings e.g setting 5 do not produce a loaf with a rise as good as the longer settings. And we often leave our bread on the longest time setting 13 hours so it is set up to run overnight to be finished baking the following morning.
Thanks, that's helpful advice.

I must have a slightly different model as whole wheat is #5 on mine - but nevertheless I notice it has a longer rest and rise process than the #1 "Basic" setting I have been using. Will give it a whirl athumb..

I've been using @fury_tea 's spent grain bread recipe in the OP for a while, with a few tweaks to suit my bread maker.....

Since I was bottling my Munich Helles last night and had way more yeast then I could harvest I decided to combine the spent grain with @Dutto 's recipe for using beer yeast...

(also switched from Allinson's flour to Waitrose Canadian flour)

Pretty pleased with the result:
View attachment 21425
View attachment 21426
And a poached egg on toast for breakfast:
View attachment 21427

Is that HP sauce I see?

@matt76
SD2500....
#1 Basic
#2 Basic Rapid
#3 Basic Raisin
#4 Basic Wholewheat
#5 Basic Wholewheat Rapid
etc etc
I made another loaf a couple of days back (which has now been eaten!) using the whole-wheat setting.

Could be coincidence but it certainly seems to have risen better just with that extra bit of time.

Looking through the manual I'm tempted to try one of the other settings that has an even longer rise period.

Thanks for the tip athumb..

So a curious thing happened - I've been using a bit of spent grain in my bread for a while now, but it drives me mad to be chucking away so much perfectly good yeast after bottling each brew. I have used beer yeast in bread before but with mixed results.

Well, with bread yeast still being a bit hard to come by in supermarkets at the moment I thought it was time to have another go... I tried a week or two ago to make bread again using beer yeast but it just wouldn't rise :(

Not to be deterred I tried again the other day - I had taken some MJ M36 slurry from AG#46 and left it 36hrs in 200ml water with 1tsp table sugar. It didn't appear to ferment or start frothing up in that time but did smell a bit vinegary. I suspect the issue was partly that I had cold crashed the beer for a few days prior to bottling so the yeast had gone dormant.

So I poured off the liquid and tried again, this time using essentially a vitality starter but without boiling to sterilise as it was only for bread:

40g thick yeast slurry (~2tbsp)
15-20g DME (~1-2tbsp)
~220ml tap water (may have been 230-250ml, can't remember)

Then I shook like hell in a 1L tonic water bottle. It was already foamy due to shaking of course but without question the bottle had firmed up a few hours later.

I pitched the liquid into my normal bread recipe (except I left out the teaspoon of sugar due the the DME already added) and cooked in the bread maker on the normal program:
400g strong white flour
100g leftover grain
15g butter
1tsp salt
Yeast/DME/water mixture above

I've gotta say, this is one of the best loaves I've made ever! 😁

HP remains the one condiment I love. My grandmother introduced me to it.

Unfortunately, after many, many years of being made in Hull they moved production over to Holland!

As a result, it has never tasted the same and many of the cheaper brands are better. (At the inflated price of HP it's well worth experimenting!)

I think the difference may be due to the the water used to produce the sauce in Holland; or maybe the people from Hull just failed to tell their new paymasters the full recipe when they heard that they were all going to be out of a job.

Personally, I think they failed to tell the Dutch about the dead rat that they threw into every brew; but that's just supposition on my part 'cos all I know is that it just doesn't taste the same!

Unfortunately, after many, many years of being made in Hull they moved production over to Holland!

As a result, it has never tasted the same and many of the cheaper brands are better. (At the inflated price of HP it's well worth experimenting!)

I think the difference may be due to the the water used to produce the sauce in Holland; or maybe the people from Hull just failed to tell their new paymasters the full recipe when they heard that they were all going to be out of a job.

Personally, I think they failed to tell the Dutch about the dead rat that they threw into every brew; but that's just supposition on my part 'cos all I know is that it just doesn't taste the same!
Mea culpa!

HP was made in Aston Birmingham and NOT Hull!

I was thinking of Reckitt & Coleman!

The rest of my assessment still stands! 👍

Latest posts

Back