Bread Machine Recipes for spent grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possy92

Reaction score
Hello All, (I hope this is the right place.... mods, feel free to move if not the right place!)

I'm currently brewing an Irish Red Beer (Smells really good at the moment!)

I have a lot of spent grain left over and I don't like wasting it... has anyone got any recipes that use a bread machine? Or, does someone have a simple recipe they could convert?

I did try and make some bread but it turned out well cooked on the outside, but sticky on the inside!

(I'm fully aware of the "honey wheat" one on the internet (the only one that comes up on a well known search engine) but I really don't want to make that one!)

Thank you for taking the time to read!

"Honey wheat"? Could not resist trying that on Google. But all I ended up with was "bread"; after the cryptic note in the OP I was hoping for something more "naughty". :(

Anyway, think how much sugar you'd have to add to get the same OG as the malt provided. So with spent mash grain what you are looking at is only 20-30% of the grain you originally purchased, nicely soaked in a lot of plain water. And that 20-30% left is mainly coarse fibrous chaff. Yummy.

Do your teeth a favour and dump the stuff. Or if you are the sort of person who cooks up their table-cloth for dinner rather than wash it, keep looking for "bread" recipes. ;)

Bread from the post-fermentation trub is on my to do list for next weekend. Saison bread should be quite interesting. Not considered using grain - I assume you're just looking to use a small quantity supplemented by strong plain flour to make a granary loaf. In which case, just find out how to make your own granary flour or something.

I know of a good way that you can turn the used grain into eggs.

"Honey wheat"? Could not resist trying that on Google. But all I ended up with was "bread"; after the cryptic note in the OP I was hoping for something more "naughty". :(

Speaking of "Naughty" - I made a "Theresa May's Wheat Dream" Wheat Beer, for something that tasted a bit "Naughty" (Personally I didn't like it, just like the current government)

I've taken your advice on board and chucked them. I'd like to be able to feed Hens, but alas I don't have any. Although something I would like to do in the future!

Please let me know how your Saison Bread turns out!

The two pints of my last Fyne Ales Avalanche (4.5% Well hopped blonde Ale ) tasted a bit old and vinegary. My partner combined it in pizza flour with several sheets of Sushi Nori (seaweed) in the dough she makes. We did the pizza's in my woodchip oven. They were fantastic, the flavour was so good with a seafood and garlic topping,,,,,, Yum, yum! Work in progress,,,

Discussed this with my partner. She wants to try beer bread with my used dark crystal malt and some of my beer. This could be an interesting sideline. Thanks! will report back.

Last edited:
Before I went on my diet ("Yawn!!" aheadbutt Okay but it's working! athumb.. ) I often used the recovered yeast to make bread and it works fine!

With regard to un-mashed Malt Grain I have also milled it to a Malt Flour to make Malt Loaves. They have turned out incredibly well and taste much better than the stuff you can buy in a shop.

Finally, I have used the spent grain to make bread but not very successfully for the following reasons:
  1. The grain is milled for mashing rather than for bread making so it can only be used as a addition to a strong flour.
  2. After mashing, the grain is wet and much of this moisture is inside the grain itself. The balance between wet grain and dry flour is difficult to judge. What can be a "stiff" dough in the bowl can become a "sloppy" dough by an hour later when it has fermented. (Hence your "sticky in the middle" result.)
I now leave the Mash Tun overnight to drain so it should result in a drier spent grain. Also, in the future I may try mincing the spent grain to get a smaller size and hopefully squeeze more moisture out of the grain itself. This should reduce the chance of the dough changing during fermentation.

It's definitely worth you pursuing the idea though so please keep us posted on how you get on! athumb..

If it's of any use, I have just made bread using harvested yeast from a Munton's LME kit sludge. I simply mixed 100 ml of settled sludge (the pale yeast bit after settling) with 100 ml warm water, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon flour and in about 1/2 hour it should start to foam up. To that mixture I use 8 oz strong flour. I do this by hand 'cos I ain't got a breadmaker (wishlist - item #27). You could substitute or add a proportion of spent grain to the flour and it would work (bit of trial and error is needed here).

My recipe runs something like: mix warm yeasty water into flour which has had 1 teaspoon salt mixed in. Stir roughly (this is rustic bread), leave for half hour, stir again, leave for half hour, stir a third time and place dough on floured baking sheet in a sort of sausage shape, leave to rise for ten minutes then bake in a really hot oven (220 DegC.) for 20 minutes. Traditional Italian farmhouse Ciabatta! This bread is NOT kneaded, just left to sit for 1 1/2 hours with half-hour stirs because it is a really soft dough.

... I'd like to be able to feed Hens, but alas I don't have any. Although something I would like to do in the future! ...
Pigs do a good job of clearing spent grain, they don't care if the "nutrition" has been severely depleted by it having been mashed. Chickens do seem to care; I don't think they actually eat much of the stuff but spread it over a vast area scratching through it to find tasty wee things that have been eating it.

If you feed it to pigs you need to find someone with a "pet" pig. If the pigs live on a farm, even if the pigs are not destined for the meat trade, it has not been allowed to "recycle" foodstuff to the pigs for quite some time now (government measures to stop spread of disastrous afflictions).

A few posts above about reusing beer yeast and dregs for bread making - this is definitely worth while! But the results can be a bit unpredictable. Beer yeasts doesn't operate like bread yeast - this can work in your favour (you don't end up with bread with all the substance of a toy balloon) or it can not work at all (you do end up with bread like house bricks).

Pigs do a good job of clearing spent grain, they don't care if the "nutrition" has been severely depleted by it having been mashed. Chickens do seem to care; I don't think they actually eat much of the stuff but spread it over a vast area scratching through it to find tasty wee things that have been eating it

Is this true? My neighbour has just acquired chickens so I gave the last batch of spent grain to him. Not yet asked him if the chickens ate it.

I thought a large amount of the protein remained in the spent grain after mashing?

Yes, apparently the stuff does retain a lot of protein and it is used for commercial feed. Mainly for ruminants I believe, but pigs eat anything. I never said chickens don't eat it, just they don't seem to eat a lot of it. But they seem to find it fascinating for scratching about in.

Just to throw another option at you, my wife makes dog biscuits with our spent grain. The reduced nutrition is a good thing, as they're a "treat" not a staple.

It’s not great if you want eggs from your chickens to be honest. They need 16-20 percent protein among a lot of other things.

I give a small amount to mine but they don’t go mad for it. Far from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ingredients (for about 30 dog treats):

• 2 cups spent grain
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
Directions:

1. Use your spent grains as soon as possible after brew day. If making the treats after brew day, collect the leftover grains and either refrigerate or freeze them to avoid mold.
  2. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350F.
  3. Meanwhile, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
  4. Use a rolling pin and a cookie cutter to form the treats, or just shape them by hand. Be sure to make the treats a size that’s appropriate for your dog.
  5. Bake the treats at 350F for 30 minutes.
  6. Turn the heat down to 200F and bake for an additional 3 hours to dry them out. Once cool, store them in an airtight container.
She got this from: https://blog.eckraus.com/how-to-make-spent-grain-dog-treats

She often tweaks it, you can switch out the peanut butter for low salt chicken stock, or low salt beef stock etc. Sometimes she mixes some banana in there too. She even made some with bacon fat one time (not quite so healthy those ones... lol). Our dogs absolutely love them!

She makes cat and dog collars with paracord too, not to mention dog "ice cream" (that's just for our pups, and our friends dog, though), as well as crocheting. Which is probably part of the reason she doesn't object to my having a hobby too. lol She has a Facebook page if anybody wants a link to it.

Spent Chocolate and dark crystal malt bread and Pitta. I did some hop tea in the grains liquor. It really comes through on the flavour. Served to accompany our Goan fish curry with my chillies!!
1-DSC_0026-001.JPG
1-DSC_0027-002.JPG

Oh aye, Don't use hopped grains for dog treats/ food. It's not good for them!

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that, glad you did. Needs to be grains that haven't been anywhere near hops only. Just wish our pups would understand that beer isn't good for them either, and stop trying to steal mine constantly.... Yeah, I know it's not good for me either, but still.... lol

Wife claimed 2 ice cream tubs full of grains earlier tonight to use after another of my brew days (I'll probably add it to my brew day thread tomorrow maybe, accidentally brewed a "British Strong Ale", when I set out to brew my first ESB.... Hit 81.9% brew house efficiency rather than the estimated 75%, as you do...).

Back