Bread Maker.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First time bread making today but fell at the first hurdle, we didn't have dried milk powder so searched and found a few threads saying you can substitute the water for skimmed milk, could members who have used one tell me if this is the case or is the first loaf going to be a disaster?

Last edited:
OK @Chippy_Tea I used a bread machine (Panasonic) for years.
They can make excellent bread, but I'd strongly advise that step 1 is throw away the recipe leaflet that came with the machine: over-complicated and designed to produce bread that will go down well with people raised on bread that comes in a plastic bag.

I used to have an excellent little book called 'make real bread in you breadmaker' but I gave it away to the person that bought the machine off me.
I still have a note of the 'basic white bread' recipe though so I'll dig it out for you asap.

In the meantime, just leave the milk out and use water.

Here you go @Chippy_Tea : absolutely great bread and no nonsense

1 tsp fast action yeast
500g strong white bread flour
1 tsp salt
350g water
glug of olive oil (makes it last longer but can be left out)

just chuck it all in to the machine in that order and hit the button...

Last edited:
Do we use milk powder as instructed?
No Chippy it's not necessary.

1 tsp fast action yeast
1 tsp salt
350g water

Here you go @Chippy_Tea : absolutely great bread and no nonsense

1 tsp fast action yeast
1 tsp salt
350g water

Thanks.

Our favourite bread recipe. And Panasonic are the brand leaders for breadmakers, can't go wrong with those - you have to know whether your breadmaker prefers wet to dry ingredients, or dry to wet though. Incidentally Panasonic make the best TV's too (viera) 😂

Ignore the instructions - just bung it all in breadmaker

https://www.paulhollywood.com/posts-1/White-Cob

When you take the loaf out of the machine, before cutting it make sure the stirring paddle hasn’t come out along with the loaf (this isn’t unusual).
Also don’t put the cooking tin thing in the washing up because it tends to knacker the bearings. Just wipe it out with kitchen paper and it’ll be fine

Can you post the full recipe that you used? Milk powder isn’t an issue as such, it might just make it taste a bit sweet

Below is the recipe from the book but we switched the water and milk powder for 1 1/8 cups skimmed milk.

Water - 1 1/8 cups
skimmed milk powder - 2 1/2 tbsp
Butter - 2 1/2 tbsp
sugar - 2 1/4 tbsp
Salt - 1 1/4 tsp
white flour - 3 cups
dry yeast - 1 1/4 tsp

When you take the loaf out of the machine, before cutting it make sure the stirring paddle hasn’t come out along with the loaf (this isn’t unusual).
Also don’t put the cooking tin thing in the washing up because it tends to knacker the bearings. Just wipe it out with kitchen paper and it’ll be fine

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back