Brettanomyces starter super funk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I made a starter culture with some brettanomyces lambicus and some sterile saison wort last weekend, and it's been fairly active. Have been giving it air once a day to oxygenate.

Had a sniff last night and it's stinking of earthy beetroot? Has anyone come across this before as I've not had this aroma from Brett before and can't find any info online. My wort is that it is some other kind of mould infection, however I was careful to sanitise everything before use.

Cheers
Grant

Not sure, lambicus is a super Brett though💪 I've always had tons of funk off of it.
Are you going for a 100% Brett fermentation?

Not sure, lambicus is a super Brett though💪 I've always had tons of funk off of it.
Are you going for a 100% Brett fermentation?
Nope, it's a Nelson Sauvin saison base, fermented in primary with Belle Saison, then I racked it onto 3.2kg of red grapes, and pitched Brett and lacto at that point (no beet smell to that starter). It's been sitting on those grapes for 2 months, lovely funky flavour and now I've re-racked it onto 3.2kg of white grapes. But the starter I've made this time is giving me the beetroot smell. Really odd as it's the same vial of Brett I'm using...

Last edited:
Some pics for those of you who are interested... the Red grapes are Tutti Fruiti variety, and the white grapes are Muscat grapes, both from M&S.

Attachments

• IMG-20210316-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210316-WA0009.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-20210316-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20210316-WA0011.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20210316-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20210316-WA0017.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210316_202648.jpg
    IMG_20210316_202648.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-20210112-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210112-WA0001.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 43
Sorry if I've misunderstood, are you pitching beer that has already been bretted onto more grapes? If so, no more Brett cells are required, unless you are adding a different strain. You could then ditch this starter if you aren't happy. If it's mold, you'll soon see it on the top and can just remove it.

Either way when using Brett as a secondary fermentation, a starter isn't required. You only need to be concerned with pitch rates if doing a 100% Brett fermentation.

https://byo.com/article/all-about-brett/
This beer sounds lovely though.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, are you pitching beer that has already been bretted onto more grapes? If so, no more Brett cells are required, unless you are adding a different strain. You could then ditch this starter if you aren't happy. If it's mold, you'll soon see it on the top and can just remove it.

Either way when using Brett as a secondary fermentation, a starter isn't required. You only need to be concerned with pitch rates if doing a 100% Brett fermentation.

https://byo.com/article/all-about-brett/
This beer sounds lovely though.
You're quite right, I probably shouldnt add it in. Thanks mate that's what I needed to hear. Say a mould did develop, would you just scoop it off the top with a sterile spoon?

Cheers again

You're quite right, I probably shouldnt add it in. Thanks mate that's what I needed to hear. Say a mould did develop, would you just scoop it off the top with a sterile spoon?

Cheers again
That would be fine. To be honest if you are adding to wort that already has dropped in pH and fermented out with saccharomyces, the only contamination likely to have an effect is Brett anyway,

Nope, it's a Nelson Sauvin saison base, fermented in primary with Belle Saison, then I racked it onto 3.2kg of red grapes, and pitched Brett and lacto at that point (no beet smell to that starter). It's been sitting on those grapes for 2 months, lovely funky flavour and now I've re-racked it onto 3.2kg of white grapes. But the starter I've made this time is giving me the beetroot smell. Really odd as it's the same vial of Brett I'm using...
Sounds awesome 👍
Just be careful lots of racking can introduce lots of oxygen that can leed towards the more funk/vinegar side.. can be good or bad depending on your tastes 😬

Latest posts

Back