Bretts not kicked in

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Three weeks ago I added a vale of brett brux to 23l of brown ale that I had fermented down to 1015. Took a reading yesterday after coming back off my hols and nothing has happened?? I've now gone ahead and added 3k of blackberries from local hedge rows.
What to do now? Be more patient or add some dregs from my brett lambicus saison which has plenty of brett style? not really the plan, but the beer needs brett... And the first vale should of done something in three weeks?? surely??

Brett can take a lot of time. I tend to stash my mixed fermentation brett beers away for about 3 months before bottling. Allow more time for priming too.

Brett starts slow, and if you've already fermented out the simple sugars it'll take a while to finish off and start munching on the more complex sugars and the proteins. Leave it be, stop checking and wait it out. I'll bet in 4-6 months you'll be sorted.

Thanks for the replies. The day i posted the thread I moved the fv to a warmer spot in the house. Then a couple of days after that after having had a few i added the dregs from a bottle of my brett lambicus saison to the fv and now its all kicked off and is bubbling away happily.
Not sure if it was the warmer spot or the extra brett? The thing that concerned me was that there was no hiss when i opened the brux vale. The two other times ive used liquid yeasts ive always had a hiss?

Back