Brew#2 - Bavarian Pilsner

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

RustyV8

Reaction score
Hi guys - I’m about to start brew #2 this weekend. I'm going for a ‘Bavarian Pilsner’ to use up a Coopers can I have on hand. Ingredients I'll use are as follows, but I have 3 questions please:

1 can of Coopers Lager (Original series, the one that comes with the brew kit)
500g Dextrose
300g Light Dry Malt Extract
20g Saaz Hop Pellets
1 x 125ml bag wyeast (Kölsch 2565)

1. The recipe says to boil the pellets for 10mins then dump all into the FV. I plan to pop them in muslin bag and basically make a tea instead. Is that ok or will I loose the necessary Pilsner flavour if I don’t use the pellet mush?
2. Is 1 bag of the yeast enough or should I double-up?
3. I will brew short to 20 instead of 23 litres as its a lager can. Do I need to reduce any of the quantities on the ingredients list as a result?

Thanks in advance….
Alan

JiiPee95

Reaction score
If you want it exactly as in the recipe you would need to reduce the other ingredients by the same amount (roughly -13%). If you don't your beer will be a bit stronger. One I would reduce myself regardless is maybe the hop pellets, but then again idk if that -13% would make huge diffence. If you don't reduce the hop flavor will be stronger probably.

Other questions idk the answer to.

RustyV8

Reaction score
Thanks JiiPee...Im thinking I could reduce everything by 10% anyway...

Interested to have an answer/opinion on the yeast question though... so any other opinions greatly appreciated as I hope to brew already this afternoon....

(P.S: your name JiiPee is phonetically exactly the way JP is pronounced here in Finland.. got me wondering if that is where you are? 😊)

JiiPee95

Reaction score
Thanks JiiPee...Im thinking I could reduce everything by 10% anyway...

Interested to have an answer/opinion on the yeast question though... so any other opinions greatly appreciated as I hope to brew already this afternoon....

(P.S: your name JiiPee is phonetically exactly the way JP is pronounced here in Finland.. got me wondering if that is where you are? 😊)
Yes I am from Finland :D nice to meet other Finns here too :)

Latest posts