Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Eight

Regular.
Reaction score
Besides the books in the photos I have a Brew Your Own Magazine subscription I really enjoy. Happy brewing folks!

Edit: Added a picture of my most recent Brew Your Own Magazine

PXL_20211031_194936233.jpg
PXL_20211013_115110624.jpg
PXL_20210913_211029613.jpg

PXL_20210929_212628705.MP.jpg

PXL_20211031_221308848.jpg

Edit: This issue isn't in print anymore you may be able to find it on ebay but it has recipes for all sorts of styles for all grain and extract. Forgot about this one it's great.

PXL_20211101_212325291.jpg

Last edited:
The Australian book looks very interesting. I'll have a look for that one.
As it happens, I'm just tidying up my bookshelves so I'll see what I've got.

I also have the Durden Park, Pattinson and Garshol books.

I also have `Home made Country Wines, Beer, Mead and Metheglin: Tried and tested recipes collected by the Farmers Weekly' which contains some truly horrific stuff! 1967 edition but first printed in 1955.
And Greg Hughes of course, content of which is rather less horrific.

The Australian book looks very interesting. I'll have a look for that one.
As it happens, I'm just tidying up my bookshelves so I'll see what I've got.

That is the most recent November issue. If you go to the brew your own site you can buy single issues and that issue should be available.

Also that's great let's see what you've got.

The Lars Garshol book is excellent, everything I want in a brewing book, a bit like Brew Like A Monk and Secrets of the Master Brewer, giving the history and structure of a style in a way that inspires me to create beers in the spirit of those brewers, rather than a collection of recipes to follow.

Missing the odd loanee....
DSC_0025-01-02.jpeg

EDIT: Just added Durden Park to the collection.

Last edited:
The Lars Garshol book is excellent, everything I want in a brewing book, a bit like Brew Like A Monk and Secrets of the Master Brewer, giving the history and structure of a style in a way that inspires me to create beers in the spirit of those brewers, rather than a collection of recipes to follow.

Missing the odd loanee....
View attachment 56809

EDIT: Just added Durden Park to the collection.

I see you have the yeast, malt, hop, and water books! I've been meaning to grab those!

Also if you think I could benefit from a book you've read regarding British beer definitely let me know. I want to get as much info as I can on British styles and their history.

I'm yet to unpack mine from the move but I have:

Brew Like A Monk - Stan Hieronymus
American Sour Beers - Michael Tonsmeire
Farmhouse Ales - Phil Markowski
The Brewers Apprentice - Greg Koch & Matt Allyn
Brewing Stouts & Porters - Terry Foster
Home Brew Beer - Greg Hughes
Mikkeller's Book of Beer - Mikkell Borg Bjergsø
The Complete Homebrew Handbook - Robin Alway

And the following eBooks:
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing - Charlie Papazian
North American Clone Brews - Scott R. Russell
CloneBrews - Tess & Mark Szmatulski

I need to get a copy of the Durden Park book now it's for sale again.

What books would you folks recommend from the Graham Wheeler department? From the looks of it around the forum his books look to be pretty iconic.

Nice collections!
It would be interesting to know which one(s) you would recommend the most or which one(s) had the biggest impact on your brewing (either on the final product or the brewing process/equipment/recipe making) :)

Nice collections!
It would be interesting to know which one(s) you would recommend the most or which one(s) had the biggest impact on your brewing (either on the final product or the brewing process/equipment/recipe making) :)

For me it's John Palmer's 'How to Brew' it contains just about everything you need to know about the brewing process as well as the theory and math behind it. For example using his book was able to build my own hop IBU calculator (tinseth).

Recently I've found Ron Pattinson's 'Homebrewers Guide to Vintage Beer' very helpful in my pursuit of British history and styles (also his Barclay Perkins blog).

Nice collections!
Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher. His philosophy on viewing brewing creatively, like art, visualising about how you want the end product to look, taste and smell, then work back from their to formulate a recipe, really struck a chord with me. The ingredients, particularly malt section, is a really handy quick reference.

Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher. His philosophy on viewing brewing creatively, like art, visualising about how you want the end product to look, taste and smell, then work back from their to formulate a recipe, really struck a chord with me. The ingredients, particularly malt section, is a really handy quick reference.

I've heard similar statements from a lot of folks over the years. I need to add that book to my collection.

Latest posts

Back