Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. It does sound like it. Try this from chromatology online...

In a recent paper, you and your team profiled a set of 120 diverse beer samples by rapid flow-injection analysis Fourier transform ion cyclotron mass spectrometry (1). Why is it important to uncover and assign compositional information to what your paper describes as “thousands of yet-unknown metabolites in the beer matrix?”
Indeed the process is common practice in high throughput metabolomic data acquisition. A notch or two up from my own Fisher-Price mass spectrometer, I have to admit. But, Chromatology online? Don't you mean chromatography? And as for the beer matrix.... I shal have to read this lagery book.

Beer Matrix reminds me of the film and the iconic scene of Neo dodging bullets.
dizzy-drunk.gif

Last edited:
Indeed the process is common practice in high throughput metabolomic data acquisition. A notch or two up from my own Fisher-Price mass spectrometer, I have to admit. But, Chromatology online? Don't you mean chromatography? And as for the beer matrix.... I shal have to read this lagery book.
:laugh8:
After I pressed post I wondered if it was chromatology or chromatography. Obviously too long a word to fit in my brain 😀.

I’m waiting for one of the graphic/AI image wranglers on here to post an image of the beer matrix. Would it still be green characters or golden ?

Definitely worth a read.

I did find a "beer matrix" on tinter, but it appears to be more a marketing issue rather than something physical that nascent CO2 or a metaboloid can bind to.
Anyway. I've ordered the book.

Anything substantial in it about fermenter geometry and/or open fermentation?

I suspect matrix just refers to the structure of dextrins, protein and polyphenols that forms foam.

Last edited:
Finished it (apart from the recipes).

A few things I'm left with are the choices sometimes made (which are normally seen as bad practice) for improved product including allowing hotside aeration/oxidation for flavour and/colour. The fact that racking to a secondary is done immediately after primary fermentation in just about all cases. And the feeling I should be designing beers from scratch.

There are other things I could say but I'd be straying further into spoiler territory.🤨

Good book.

And the feeling I should be designing beers from scratch.
It's the best part of brewing, for me.

Firstly, it's a creative outlet. Secondly, and more importantly, I feel it accelerates the learning curve when you go through the mental process of design, when there's a connection between choice and outcome.

Back