Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just few. How to Brew by John Palmer. It's the bible of brewing.

I also just picked up Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Buhne. Brews that are more medicinal or ritualistic, and some of the recipes are better called meads or wines than beers or ales. Some of the recipes assume you know how to brew, just listing ingredients and steps like "brew over low heat, then bottle and let rest for two weeks."

Through Shropshire Libraries I can get Craft Beer &Brewing for free
8F5CD0D8-63CD-48A8-9716-3DF519CFE6E1.jpeg

It did tell me off for taking the screen shot. Also not sure how to make it a smaller size.

I have just few. How to Brew by John Palmer. It's the bible of brewing.

I also just picked up Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Buhne. Brews that are more medicinal or ritualistic, and some of the recipes are better called meads or wines than beers or ales. Some of the recipes assume you know how to brew, just listing ingredients and steps like "brew over low heat, then bottle and let rest for two weeks."
@granch72 I am going to go out on a limb here, perhaps brewing heresy and would agree John’s book is highly informative it is getting a little dated and has failed to keep up with some of the developments in home brewing. Scratches the surface on BIAB, no mention of pressurised fermentation (as far as I can see), etc. I think there is certainly room on the shelf for some books covering more modern techniques.

I’ll wait for the vitriol and public flight to begin 😱

I have half (at least) of the Brewers Publications books in ebook form. Gonna work my way through How To Brew to see if there are any gaps I need to fill, more technical knowledge with Water, Hops, Malt and Yeast, then a few specific ones, like the farmhouse ales (Saisons), abbey beers and Helles.

@granch72 I am going to go out on a limb here, perhaps brewing heresy and would agree John’s book is highly informative it is getting a little dated and has failed to keep up with some of the developments in home brewing. Scratches the surface on BIAB, no mention of pressurised fermentation (as far as I can see), etc. I think there is certainly room on the shelf for some books covering more modern techniques.

I’ll wait for the vitriol and public flight to begin 😱
I doubt you will get any of the well known home brewing writers writing about closed vessel fermentation. I did ask John Palmer about fermenting under pressure, his reply was.'Why would anyone do that'
I think anyone who has read the Palmer books, as a next step in my opinion is the Dave Miller book Home Brewing Guide. Won plenty of accolades as a home brewer before becoming a commercial brewer and ending his career at Blackstone Brewing Company in Nashville as Head Brewer.

1662521658324.png

I doubt you will get any of the well known home brewing writers writing about closed vessel fermentation. I did ask John Palmer about fermenting under pressure, his reply was.'Why would anyone do that'
I think anyone who has read the Palmer books, as a next step in my opinion is the Dave Miller book Home Brewing Guide. Won plenty of accolades as a home brewer before becoming a commercial brewer and ending his career at Blackstone Brewing Company in Nashville as Head Brewer.

View attachment 74504
Looks interesting even if the front cover looks more like a guide to strawberry milkshakes.
Just downloaded a copy and pleased to see he subscribes to the Dave Line school of illustrations so I'm perfectly at home. Look g forward to browsing this one.

Looks interesting even if the front cover looks more like a guide to strawberry milkshakes.
Just downloaded a copy and pleased to see he subscribes to the Dave Line school of illustrations so I'm perfectly at home. Look g forward to browsing this one.
A really good book but not one for those who like throwing Epsom salts into their beers.

"the Dave Line school of illustrations"

What does this refer to?
In his books of the 1970s Dave Line's illustrations and diagrams were all hand drawn, rough-sketches-on-the-back-of-a-fag-packet style. They were none the worse for that and illustrated his points clearly. Its refreshing to see the same approach in use some 50 years later.

Back