Brew Bucket Temp Control - FTS Query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul3944

Reaction score
The temps in my garage have dropped considerably over the last few days, and I was considering some kind of temperature control (heating) for my SS Brewtech Brew Bucket.

Is it possible to just the OEM (FTS) heating kit without using the cooling kit and all kinds of pipework?

My garage is about 15-20C usually so not overly concerned with the cooling aspect of the FTS system.

Thanks in advance
Paul

I have a SS Brewmaster Bucket and looked into getting the heating only FTS upgrade - I believe Malt Miller and/or Brew UK stock it - but (IIRC) it costs over £100 which I didn't feel represented value for money.

I ended up getting an Inkbird 308 temp controller (£25) and a brew belt (£15-20) and it does the same job. Works really well for stopping the temp dropping too low in colder environments.

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I seen a similar setup mentioned on a American forum however there where concerns about risks off electrocution from the stainless steel body? I imagine the FTS upgrade is the same principle as a brew belt.

Do you have the neoprene jacket as well to aide with insulation?

I've heard the argument around the risk of electrocution when using these heat belts with SS equipment. There's no doubt that it is a risk but I believe it to be a very low and easy managed one, particularly when dealing with well made equipment. As you say, the heating pads SS Brew tech supply with their FTS products will carry the same risk. I suppose if one was really worried about it one could earth the fermenter?

I did get the neoprene jacket but have never had the need to use it yet. Someone pointed out to me that if you are using ambient temperature, or even a fridge, to act as the cooling mechanism then insulating the FV will only slow the transfer of hot/cold and therefore make it harder for your fridge to cool the fermenting beer. I can see the use of it if you were fermenting in your garage over a cold winter though as it would prevent the heat belt from being overused.

Hi!
Have you considered making a fermentation chamber from builder's insulation board? An Inkbird STC-1000 temperature controller is only £14 and a tubular heater, around £20, would give you an ideal set-up.

Has anyone tried using a pet heating pad under the fermenting vessel? I've seen them on ebay at £18 for heating homebrew and the same thing is only £8 for heating pets. 20 watt with 3 settings high/low/off. Thought I'd ask on here before I invest such a huge amount of money.

At least one member has posted about using a pet heating pad with an inkbird controller and IIRC it worked fine.

Thanks Chippy, ok afraid you lost me tho with "inkbird controller and IIRC"
I've found inkbird controllers on ebay i guess you'd use it with thermostat in the brew to turn heating pad on and off
haha IIRC. (If I Remenber Correctly) IFSAF(I Feel Such A Fool)

Last edited:
Back