Brew day fail stories?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

MmmBeer

Reaction score
Had one yesterday, was curious why my Grainfather was struggling so much to reach 100°C on the display, despite the wort bubbling away vigourously. After the boil, when I tried to transfer the wort through the CFC to the FV, it barely managed a dribble and stopped completely after 3 litres, so I tipped the hot wort into the FV and instantly spotted the cause. The filter that slips over the pump inlet to protect the pump from clogging, was fitted on the thermowell, or temperature sensor pocket.

Removed and stripped pump, then cleared hop blockage from the inlet pipework, refitted filter, then was able to pour wort back into Grainfather and chill again. Beer now bubbling away like a good'un, just hope it's not infected.

Mrhandsome

Regular.
Reaction score
Well I've just had my biggest fail yet.

So I've just got out the shower, and I decide to check my beers (the airing cupboard is my brew cupboard) before I go into the bedroom to get dressed. I have a 5l carboy which I'm using to make a mango beer at the minute, and I notice the little red top of the airlock has gone. On closer inspection the mango puree has risen from the bottom of the fv all the way up and into the airlock blocking it. I think to myself I'd better get this sorted out quick and go to move the beer.

EXPLOSION

The airlock shoots off as soon as I move the carboy, followed by a geyser of pureed mango and foam covering the entire cupboard, all of my beers, brewing equipment, and a very shocked (and freshly showered) naked me. Slightly too late I jam my thumb over the tiny hole which only temporarily stops it as the pressure keeps on forcing my brew out. Luckily my wife was in the bedroom and heard all of the ruckus. She screams 'WHAT DO YOU NEED? ' in a shrill voice to which I reply 'A F***ING TOWEL! She whips off her towel and I chuck it over the top of my brew preventing any further damage.

I spent a good hour and a half getting mango gunk off of the ceiling and walls and took another shower with all of my beers which are temporarily living in the bath whilst the cupboard dries.

Here's the little bugger that caused all the trouble.
IMG_20200519_183913.jpg

The only saving grace is that it exploded whilst I was there to mitigate most of the damage. I don't appear to have lost more than one bottle's worth of beer but all of the mango is gone. I'll have to buy some more and stick it back in tomorrow.

Mrhandsome

Regular.
Reaction score
I added some more pureed mango this morning, I used a bit of pectolase to help break it down even further and hopefully prevent further explosions. It's also sitting lower in the carboy so more room for krausen. I have one bottle of beer from the pre mangoed beer (it wouldn't fit) I'll add that once the krausen has subsided and I'll have a full batch!

My brew cupboard has a lovely faint mango beer aroma now, hopefully this will air out otherwise I'm likely to be scalped by the Mrs.

This beer better be worth it!