Brew Fridge Heater Placement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungri

Landlord.
Reaction score
Managed to get myself a second hand fridge from Flebay.
IMG_20180927_084201543.jpg

Got a 40w tube heater, hopefully coming today.
Question is, would it be OK to place the heater on the right hand side above the light?
If I build a shelf over the compressor the Speidel fermenter won't fit in height, even without the massive bubbler. My other bucket fermenter will, but I'd really like to be able to use both.
I could build a low shelf, 3" high and it would fit. What do people think would be the best option?
Cheers,
Ian.

Make a blow off tube then it'll fit and you'll have peace of mind it's not going to make a mess of your new fridge :thumba:
Thanks Chippy. I had thought of that. The bung would be touching the top of the fridge though, it's that tight.
I could put it below the light but it would only be an inch or so from the fermenter wall. I assume that might add some direct heat.

The wall would be fine but I would add a fan to circulate the air around.

Underneath is the ideal place though.
Cheers Lee. The tube heater's just arrived and I think I will be able to use a low shelf with perforations as Gerryjo suggests.

Thanks Chippy. I had thought of that. The bung would be touching the top of the fridge though, it's that tight.
I could put it below the light but it would only be an inch or so from the fermenter wall. I assume that might add some direct heat.

If any new members are reading this and are wondering what a blow off tube is have a look at this - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/posts/779090/

Hi!
Have you considered fermenting without the bubbler and bung? That would considerably reduce the height of your FV.
I have Col. That was going to be my last resort.
There's a screw on plastic cap that comes with the fermenter and I thought it could just be placed on loosely.
Never fermented anything without an airlock before. I guess it's just like a security blanket.
Anyhow, I'm building a low shelf now so I've got a bit more flexibility.

I used to use a bubbler, sometimes it would work but most of the time I couldn't get a decent seal around the lid so it wouldn't make that reassuring plop plop sound. I then bought a new fermenter that didn't have a hole in the lid for the bubbler, so since then, I have completed about 15 brews by just cracking the lid on the fermenter. I use a brew fridge and have not had any problems so far. Its one less thing to faff around with in my opinion.

Hi!
I totally agree with @Bigjas - I've got a kölsch in the brew fridge right now with the lid laying loosely on the FV. You can clean and sanitise the inside of a fridge, so there shouldn't be any "nasties" to fall in the FV; the loose lid is a failsafe!
Once the weather turns colder, I'm going to try an experimental brew in my fermentation chamber - a mild ale fermented in an under- bed storage box with no lid fitted. Open fermentation with a large surface area is supposed to enhance the malt flavours.

I know what you both mean. I don't use bubblers to tell me when the brew is fermenting (although I do still get a buzz every time they kick off), just to keep air out.
Looking forward to having a brew ferment at a constant temp to see how much difference it makes.

I think you'll find you get much more consistent results. I've got an under counter fridge for SS brewbucket and demijohns, and a larder fridge for my 14 gallon Chronical.
Brian
I know what you both mean. I don't use bubblers to tell me when the brew is fermenting (although I do still get a buzz every time they kick off), just to keep air out.
Looking forward to having a brew ferment at a constant temp to see how much difference it makes.

That's what I'm hoping Brian. Consistency and reproducability. At the moment I can brew the same recipe 3 times and they all taste different, not bad just different.

Done!

IMG_20180928_182050899.jpg

I don't think Hoddys' going to be inviting me around for phase 3 of his brew park.:laugh8:
Definitely a case of function over form.

IMG_20180928_182213243.jpg

Got my probe onto the side of the fermenter now in a bubble wrap pocket.
Everything seems to be working as it should.

Back