Brew in a Bag – A Step By Step Beginner’s Guide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great how to Puravida :clap:
You've inspired me to go biab, once i've paid for next months holiday a 33l stock pot and large sack of grain will be top priority :party:

:cheers:

Cheers for the reply Rich. I'm glad i posted before i bough anything :oops: So if i wanted to go down the full mash volume i'd need bigger than 33l? :hmm:

rich27500 said:
You can using maxi BIAB make 23l with just a 19l stockpot. I have a 27l boiler and 23l brew lengths are easy using maxi. For straight BIAB you need closer to 40l capacity

Thanks Rich ,but could you explain Maxi BIAB please? :?

cracking guide, nice thermapen btw v jealous of u chefs, but saw it cost the same as my DIY mashtun and boiler combined so went tor a more modest option...anyway just curious as a batch sparger meself dont u find the beer harder to get clear- lacking a clarifying step-not that it matters tastewise -sometimes i reckon the cloudier ones r the tastiest esp for some styles? Also if not got a lhbs u can get "voile" net curtain material off the fleabay for a fiver that does the job need a few meters though i reckon-means u have remainders to craft some hop bags

well then if beers clear with same efficency-but quicker- i may have to give it a go when im in a rush someday-or cant find somewhere high to put mash tun...u guys may have a convert

rich27500 said:
Or limit yourself to about 15l brewlengths

Thanks for the heads up. Think i'm gonna go down the maxi route as i'd rather be dong 20+ litre brewlengths

going to try this method later this week, jumping straight in the deep end without having done kit brews first...

a question - the guide doesn't say how long the 'mash' bit should be left for, just to check temperature every 15 mins. Think I've read an hour somewhere, is that about right? and does that vary with brew sizes?

Thanks buddy this is what I have been looking for I think I m going to like the community.

Regards

Many thanks for putting this up - couldn't get my head round the BIAB spreadsheet, but this encouraged me to not care about the detail and just get stuck in. Details will sort themselves out with a bit of experience (I hope)

Latest posts

Back