Brew in a Bag – A Step By Step Beginner’s Guide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add my 2p - I do this in a small way - I only have a 15L stock pot (and I'm not sure my hob would cope with too much more). So it's a full volume boil of c 12-13L for me. You don't get huge amounts of beer at the end of it obviously, but I see that as a positive for me - I'm still at the stage where I want to brew a lot different things all the time - I have neither the space to store that many bottles or the liver to get through a full 23L batch every couple of weeks. And it avoids the annoyance of when you get a terrible brew and have 46 bottles of it to get through! Speaking of space - it's great - you pretty much just need a big pan, so your equipment has a pleasingly small footprint.

So far the process has seemed pretty bombproof. My mash temps where all the over the shop when I did my first and pretty much everything that could go wrong, did go wrong (dropping things, adding too much water so it overflowed when I added the grain, temperature control way out) and yet the wort came in one point away from the desired gravity and the whole thing tasted very nice.

So it's full marks from me so far!

paraffin said:
Many thanks for putting this up - couldn't get my head round the BIAB spreadsheet, but this encouraged me to not care about the detail and just get stuck in. Details will sort themselves out with a bit of experience (I hope)

Might be worth asking the guys there re: the calculator – there was a version of it up there a while back that had some errors in which made it a bit confusing!

There’s a thread where people will take a recipe for you and put it into the calculator spreadsheet for you – it’s much easier then to look at and work out what they did/how it works than trying to start from scratch with it yourself.

Back