Brew Monk 30L Conical Fermenter suitable for wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersocks

Reaction score
I'd like to get a steel fermenter for my wine brews and have been looking at this one - Brew Monk Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter - Get Er Brewed

1651765046982.png
1651765454380.png

The only thing offputting about it (apart from the price compared to plastic!) is the sales pitch:

Father abbot and his apostles proudly present their 30 l fermenter, in which every self-respecting brewer can turn water into beer. Not just any beer, but a divine drink.

Durable fermenter with the convenience of a conical bottom for a hobby brew of 23-25 litres on average

So are they saying expect to loose 5-7L per brew, due to the conical shape? I am expecting to loose a bit of course due to sediment but this seems like a lot for a wine brew.
Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, just thought of it, would I get away with not racking before bottling due to the conical shape or bad/lazy idea!?

Also, just thought of it, would I get away with not racking before bottling due to the conical shape or bad/lazy idea!?

I haven't a clue how you use these but if you were to use the top blue tap with a piece of syphon tube and a little bottler on the end it would avoid the sediment.

I cut my little bottler off the tap at the place marked below then heated the end of the syphon tube in boiling water so it got a tight hold when i inserted the little bottler tube and it cooled.

1651765507775.png
1651765731883.png

The bottom tap is to remove trub/yeast so no issue with bottling from the fermenter. I keg beer straight from a similar fermenter (and mine doesn't have the ability to remove trub).

The volume difference is to allow room for the kräusen to form and some losses in the conical bottom.

I imagine your plastic buckets are simular to mine @Supersocks , 30l for fermenting 23l brews. The extra space is as @YeastFace says to allow for krausen.

My only question would be what does a ss vessel offer a home brew wine? Granted improved hygiene but cost wise and for theatre, large glass carbouys seem a way to go. Can vacuum degass which will help reduce oxidation....

I've just bought a couple for fermenting beer. They would work equally well for wine. There would be no need for racking as you just drop the dead yeast and crud out of the bottom valve. The blue tap has a swivel attachment allowing you to syphon from below tap level into bottles or demijohns for bulk storage. There's no need to lose anything as the final litre or so can be run out of the bottom tap and allowed to clear in a demijohn before being consumed.
These are an excellent bit of kit. Can't recommend them highly enough. The only naff bit is the cheap digital thermometer that fits in the thermowell. I've swapped it for a grainfather analogue thermometer.

I use the fermentasaurus plastic conical for fermenting wine.
I take off the yeast in the bottle at the bottom at the end of fermentation, I've learnt now that one full bottle removed of yeast ( it's fairly wishy washy stuff wine yeast ) and a half bottle leaves enough space for the yeast that drops with finings. So my losses now are about 750ml total. I ensure that I have got all of the settled yeast poured away or in the bottle before adding the Potassium Metabisulphate, Kieselol and chitosan.
I don't rack into separate containers it stays in there start to finish. If you are following on with brews you can save the yeast easily and repitch as well if you have more than one bottle. That gets the next ferment going really fast.
Coincidentally took these pictures yesterday 2 hours after the chitosan was put in, I just bang the metal leg of the support for about 60 seconds and the stuff falls of the side and into the collecting pot. You can see the space I left for fined stuff in the bottle in the first picture and how it settles down in the bottle, this all packs down in a few hours leaving room for more. I just bang it to shake the stuff down if I'm passing.
24hours later it's virtually clear, I find the wine is clear much quicker than the 14 days they suggest on the kit, 5 to 7 in reality.
IMG_20220505_121745.jpgIMG_20220505_122101.jpg

I'd like to get a steel fermenter for my wine brews and have been looking at this one - Brew Monk Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter - Get Er Brewed

View attachment 67856View attachment 67857

The only thing offputting about it (apart from the price compared to plastic!) is the sales pitch:

So are they saying expect to loose 5-7L per brew, due to the conical shape? I am expecting to loose a bit of course due to sediment but this seems like a lot for a wine brew.
Any advice?
I have one of these and don't lose anything like those amounts. I reckon what they mean is it holds 30l but do most folk do 25l which it is suitable for.

I've just bought a couple for fermenting beer. They would work equally well for wine. There would be no need for racking as you just drop the dead yeast and crud out of the bottom valve. The blue tap has a swivel attachment allowing you to syphon from below tap level into bottles or demijohns for bulk storage. There's no need to lose anything as the final litre or so can be run out of the bottom tap and allowed to clear in a demijohn before being consumed.
These are an excellent bit of kit. Can't recommend them highly enough. The only naff bit is the cheap digital thermometer that fits in the thermowell. I've swapped it for a grainfather analogue thermometer.
I have one of these. It came with a decent analogue thermometer. I echo all of the above

I haven't a clue how you use these but if you were to use the top blue tap with a piece of syphon tube and a little bottler on the end it would avoid the sediment.

I cut my little bottler off the tap at the place marked below then heated the end of the syphon tube in boiling water so it got a tight hold when i inserted the little bottler tube and it cooled.

View attachment 67858 . View attachment 67859

That was my thinking too, I saw someone on Amazon suggesting to do the same thing on another one of these and thought that was a good idea.

I imagine your plastic buckets are simular to mine @Supersocks , 30l for fermenting 23l brews. The extra space is as @YeastFace says to allow for krausen.

My only question would be what does a ss vessel offer a home brew wine? Granted improved hygiene but cost wise and for theatre, large glass carboys seem a way to go. Can vacuum degass which will help reduce oxidation....

I had a glass carboy (which I sold) but the weight of it was something else. So I figured the clock was ticking until it dropped and smashed to be honest. Also I like the fact that the steel vessel should be totally dark inside and easier to clean.

Thanks after reading this I found a video online describing this swivel attachment which sounds like just the job, it was for another fermentation vessel but was identical to this, maybe they all all mass made in China and rebranded for the market over here.

Latest posts

Back