Brew No1 Not Going to Plan!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braziliain

Small Batch Brewer
Reaction score
I started my first ever brew two weeks ago today. It's a 1 tin Wilko Cerveza and knowing no better, I followed their instructions as best I could.

OG was 1.038 exactly as the instructions. Target FG is 1.008.

There were no bubbles in my air lock, at any time, but I resisted the urge to peek and after 7 days took a sample and a hydrometer reading of 1.020. On day 9 I took another at 1.020.

I did some reading on this forum and then decided to agitate the fermenter a little. This led to some bulging of the lid and a few bubbles in the air lock. I left it alone and then on day 13 I took another reading of 1.018. On day 14 another at 1.018.

Things I think I did well:
I have sanitised everything that has come in to contact using a Young's steriliser which has been left to work for 10mins.

I cooled to wort to 23C before pitching the yeast.

I have left the fermenter at 19C for 14 days.

Things I think I may have done wrong:
I didn't make any attempt to aerate the wort before pitching the yeast, although I topped up the fermenter from the tap so this may have aerated it some.

I left the beer kit (a present) for two years before using it. So the yeast could be past its best

The samples I have taken (from the spigot at the bottom of the fermenter) have tasted ok, just weak.

Anyone with more experience have any advice? Is it time to chuck it and try again with a fresh kit/some learning?

Thanks,

I think your yeast could be the problem mate. Think its only usable up to 2-4 months. You may be able ro pitch some fresh??? More experinced brewer will tell you if this is an option

I bought another packet of Ale Yeast from Wilko today in anticipation of this. Would I just empty the packet into the top as I did first time around?

Will adding the extra yeast change the flavour? Are there any additional steps prior to bottling after adding another pack of yeast?

Thanks

Yes, just sprinkle the new yeast on top of the wort being carefull not to splash at all.
Your beer should still be okay because you've had in under an airlock and it sounds like there has been some activity so there should be a layer of CO2 on top protecting it.

I believe that the Wilkos Gervin Ale yeast in a Nottingham strain. This is pretty neutral in flavour and will settle out well so it shouldn't affect the taste too much. You'll still get a drinkable beer.

I don't know where you are fermenting but if you can make sure it's around 18-20C that will help.

Cheers,
KG

Yes, just sprinkle the new yeast on top of the wort being carefull not to splash at all.
Your beer should still be okay because you've had in under an airlock and it sounds like there has been some activity so there should be a layer of CO2 on top protecting it.

I believe that the Wilkos Gervin Ale yeast in a Nottingham strain. This is pretty neutral in flavour and will settle out well so it shouldn't affect the taste too much. You'll still get a drinkable beer.

I don't know where you are fermenting but if you can make sure it's around 18-20C that will help.

Cheers,
KG

Thanks, I'll give this a try this morning.

The beer is fermenting in my spare room with the thermostat sat next to it.
Room temp is set to 19C and the thermometer on the FV has been reading a constant 20C.

Fingers crossed.

I pitched the extra packet of yeast and 30hrs later there is no sign of life unfortunately.
I'll leave it alone for another week and then take a sample.

Will spend the time planning brew #2 instead.

I pitched the extra packet of yeast and 30hrs later there is no sign of life unfortunately.
I'll leave it alone for another week and then take a sample.

Will spend the time planning brew #2 instead.

Silly question mate... Your lid is clicked down properly on your fv? ( done it myself!!!)
My pal had a leak on the rubber grommet where the airlock fits also

Yeah, I've checked the lid and it is clicked down. It is all wavy and flimsy though. Pretty naff quality I think.
The airlock didn't bubble at all when the gravity originally dropped from 1.038 - 1.020 so I suppose it could be the lid.

Yeah, I've checked the lid and it is clicked down. It is all wavy and flimsy though. Pretty naff quality I think.
The airlock didn't bubble at all when the gravity originally dropped from 1.038 - 1.020 so I suppose it could be the lid.

could you get us a picture of your setup so I can see what your working with please

when I doubted the effectiveness of my lid I simply sealed the lid with electrical tap haha

It's a very basic kit from the HB supplier down the road.

WP_20161024_20_55_57_Pro.jpg

Just took another sample for the hydrometer and the gravity hasn't dropped since adding the new packet of yeast.

It tastes absolutely rank now and has a horrible lingering bitter aftertaste.

Safe to say I've made a complete mess of my first brew. Debating whether to bother spending the time bottling 40 bottles or whether to just put it down to experience and tip it.

Just took another sample for the hydrometer and the gravity hasn't dropped since adding the new packet of yeast.

Safe to say I've made a complete mess of my first brew. Debating whether to bother spending the time bottling 40 bottles or whether to just put it down to experience and tip it.

Bottle it and leave it for a while. I brewed some lager too hot and it tasted rank - so I gave it to my wife to drink :lol::lol::lol::whistle:

Anyhow, I happened to find a bottle of it at the back of the fridge one night 6 months later - cracked it open and it tasted exactly like coors light lol.

by the way forgot to mention that I rarely get my fg to the right level -its always out lol. I still make nice tasting brews though

Pitching new yeast into an already-stuck brew isn't always successful, as many of the fermentables have already been consumed. Here's a few things to try
- dissolve 200g of sugar (ideally brewing sugar) in a little boiled water and chuck it in, it'll give the yeast more stuff to chew on
- get the temp up at the high end of the yeast range 22/23C if poss

Don't worry about the airlock, FVs don't always seal, the hydrometer is the only way to tell what is truly happening.

And lager usually takes at least 12 weeks in the bottle to come good, it will taste horrible at first.

I bottled this today. My first bottling session. It went ok, but I used a steriliser that needs rinsing and it took all morning to do 40 bottles.

It might just be that I am tired from working nights, but I think it tasted slightly better. A disappointing 3.1%abv but if it tastes ok it will do for curry night.

Failing that, I'll thrust it on the family.

It's now 8 days since I bottled this. How long do you chaps usually leave the bottles to prime before moving to the cold?

They have been sat at 19C for 8 days and the plastic bottles feel pretty firm. I can see a fair amount of sediment in each bottle. It's a lager style so would like plenty of fizz. Not in a rush, so happy to leave another week if there is any benefit.

Thanks!

Give it another week mate then put it somewhere cold, it'll be at its best by Christmas and beyond, what are you brewing next?

Give it another week mate then put it somewhere cold, it'll be at its best by Christmas and beyond, what are you brewing next?

I have a 1 gallon ginger beer on the go which has been fermenting for a week. After the DJ frees up, then it's either going to be a Turbo Cider, or a stab at Clibit's simple AG 1 gallon batch on the stove top. I have 3kgs of Maris Otter in the garage and some East Kent Goldings in the freezer. Depends how brave I am feeling!

Latest posts

Back