Brew not fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitchy

Reaction score
Hi all, after a couple of kits I decided to move to a BIAB set up, got the peco boiler offer from the home brewing company and asked for the tellicherry saison to go with it. Decided to split into two, one standard saison and one with cherries added. Used the belle saison yeast with the standard saison and had some mangrove jacks M54 so used that in the brew with cherry added. The belle saison is happily bubbling away around 20°c but I'm getting nothing from the other f.v. Any advice would be welcomed

2 things probably to point out.

Firstly, M54 is the California Lager yeast isn’t it it? It’s a notoriously slow starter. You haven’t said when you pitched but some people on the forum have waited 2 or 3 days for it to get going.

Secondly, no airlock activity doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t fermenting - you might have CO2 escaping elsewhere so it’s not escaping the airlock. A gravity reading is the best way to check, but I’m not a big fan of taking readings during fermentation.

Thirdly, if you want your saison to have saison esters, you’ll probably want to up the temperature of the BS. Saison ferment hot.

Last edited:
2 things probably to point out.

Firstly, M54 is the California Lager yeast isn’t it it? It’s a notoriously slow starter. You haven’t said when you pitched but some people on the forum have waited 2 or 3 days for it to get going.

Secondly, no airlock activity doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t fermenting - you might have CO2 escaping elsewhere so it’s not escaping the airlock. A gravity reading is the best way to check, but I’m not a big fan of taking readings during fermentation.

Thirdly, if you want your saison to have saison esters, you’ll probably want to up the temperature of the BS. Saison ferment hot.
Cheers Mick, I pitched Saturday night so less than 24 hrs before the OP. the M54 is the Californian lager yes, was what I had about and was told it would taste more like a Californian common. Was hoping it might be something like a slow starter, just a little disconcerting as the Belle started ripping into things straight away! I checked and as far as I can tell everything is sealed though I know that doesn't necessarily mean it is. Will see what happens in a few days.

I checked and as far as I can tell everything is sealed though I know that doesn't necessarily mean it is. Will see what happens in a few days.
If you want to ensure there is a seal between the FV lid and bin place strips of cling film across the bin top edge and replace the lid. I do this sometimes. And I don't bother to sanitise the film as it comes straight off the roll.

Have a quick peek under the lid. The belle saison should be looking quite active & frothy if the airlock is bubbling nicely. If the other beer looks the same, then it also is fermenting well, and it's just that you haven't a perfect seal on the FV.

The belle saison is going great guns, there is no krausen or any activity still on the Californian though, flat as a mill pond unfortunately

The belle saison is going great guns, there is no krausen or any activity still on the Californian though, flat as a mill pond unfortunately
In that case, I'd be very tempted to skim a litre or more of the belle saison off the top, and to stir it into the Californian.

Hadn't thought of that, seems obvious now you mention it though! The Californian has actually started bubbling away happily now, I guess it was a combination of my impatience and the belle saisons quick start that made me worry!
In that case, I'd be very tempted to skim a litre or more of the belle saison off the top, and to stir it into the Californian.

So a quick update and another question. Seem to have a successful fermentation so have bottled and kegged after 2 weeks. Have tried the standard and it has a taste almost like white wine. I know it's still early days but would this be normal for the tellicherry kit? The only saison I have tried was the silly saison which tasted almost like caramel sauce! Anyone tried this kit before?

Latest posts

Back