Brew Off 2021 -DIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great comp and great night lads. Love these little brew off comps. Thanks to @beerison for the judging and I think the best beer did come out on top. Even if it did cost 50p a sip 😂 FYI my DIPA was with kveik.

defo a little worse for wear today. Gotta be the first Saturday I haven’t drank in a long time. It’s been one of those all day hangovers..... should be bright and breezy tomorrow for a brew day Sunday tho.

suggestions for the next brew off might be either a smash beer or a single hop beer(freehand on the style, yeast etc) just as a few ideas in addition to a low ABV beer.

A great comp and great night lads. Love these little brew off comps. Thanks to @beerison for the judging and I think the best beer did come out on top. Even if it did cost 50p a sip 😂 FYI my DIPA was with kveik.

defo a little worse for wear today. Gotta be the first Saturday I haven’t drank in a long time. It’s been one of those all day hangovers..... should be bright and breezy tomorrow for a brew day Sunday tho.

suggestions for the next brew off might be either a smash beer or a single hop beer(freehand on the style, yeast etc) just as a few ideas in addition to a low ABV beer.

Yeah it defo wasn't a cheap brew - its the most expensive beer I've ever made.
3 packs of Verdant yeast in 19L works out at about 30p a pint in yeast alone 😂 and we best not mention the 500g hops 🤣
I'm just pleased the investment paid off and the beer came out well, and it's still got to be cheaper than paying £3 a can for something similar in Tesco 🤷‍♂️

I like all the suggestions for the next brewoff... as the last 2 have been quite style specific it would be good to brew something that allowed for a bit more style freedom.
🍻

Last edited:
I have a suggestion for next Brew Off

Any beer style
Under 5%
No Mosiac or Citra or to add some consistency we could have a list of 5 hops and you can only use hops from the list( and Mosiac and Citra can't be in the 5).

Last edited:
Although I like the idea of stipulating one or more ingredients to see what everyones different takes on using it are.

Doesn't Scott Janish call Citra and Mosiac cheater hops
We could decide which 5 hops but has to made up from the following.
2x American
1x Australia/New Zealand
1x English
1x Euro

How about a best of British brew off. Any style, any malt, any yeast but must use British hops?

I am sure CML sent me a shed load of British hops that need using......

I followed this thread as I know the 4 of you can brew very nice beer. Why not step away from the hop head beers that you are all used to brewing....
Put a list of styles in a pot and draw out one. Make the styles specific examples include
Porter
Saison
Wheat beer
Czech pilsner
Belgian tripel
Weizenbock
Irish dry stout
Scottish wee heavy
English IPA

The list is endless but it could push some of you out of your comfort zone. It could be something you could learn from brewing a style you wouldn't normally brew.
Obviously the list would need to be agreed before. No point anyone brewing a beer that they won't drink.

For full disclosure here's my winning DIPA recipe :tongue:

Brewed on 24th Jan and kegged on the 2nd Feb, its taken almost a full month for the hop burn to fade.

19L @ 1.072 and 42 calculated IBUs
Finished at 1.013 for 7.9% ABV

3kg Golden promise
3kg Extra pale Golden promise
1kg Oat malt
1kg Flaked oats
0.4kg dextrose

Mashed at 65C

10 mins - 40g Azacca & 30g Citra
WP 25mins @ 75C - 60g Azacca & 40g Citra

3 packs Verdant yeast fermented cold, starting at 15C

Dry hopped with - 200g Nectaron, 100g Azacca and 30g Citra