Brew Off 2021 -DIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok @dan125 @Hoddy @Leon103 it looks as though round 2 of the Brew Off has got a little more interesting with the 4 beers being judged independently by @beerison for some extra bragging rights.

I think I'm right in saying that @beerison did some judging for the Verdant comp so we thought he would be a good person to give his view on our beers.

Thought this thread would be fun for any banter, photos, results.

Maybe no photos that may give anything away prior to independent judging.

Hopefully we can get the official judging done before we taste each others beers.

Nice one @dave_77 looking forward to this athumb.. and great to have the added tension of independent judging :laugh8: thanks @beerison :hat:

My suggestion for judging is - if Hoddy and Leon send their extra beer for judging to one of us, without any identifying marks, we can anonomously label them A,B,C,D and drop them all off together. It would be great to get some feedback on aroma, flavour, mouthfeel, off flavours etc like on a bjcp form but I think the beers should just be ranked 1st to 4th, rather than scored out of 50 against a specific style guideline. Like you say, we didn't specify it had to be brewed to a specific style, just it had to be a DIPA over 7.5% ABV

Would this work @beerison ????

Agree that we should have a no photo policy until judging is done.

acheers.

Screenshot_20210204-205300.jpg
IMG_20210204_203820.jpg

👀

Hey guys. It sounds like a good fun so thanks for inviting me.
I can use the standard scoresheet to write down the notes and it doesn't have to be against a specific BJCP style.
Ranking them that way might be slightly objective, but I will try keep personal preference out of the way as much as I can.
I guess the deciding factors will be potential faults and balance issues. If you send perfect beers it will be much more difficult ;)

Dave, good to see you're using hops. That's a box ticked!

Do you guys want to organise a call to talk about the beers? This can be done straight after I finished my part.
I will fill scoresheets electronically so they can be shared instantly.
I would be able to reveal my order and we can discuss it all

Hopefully we can get you to judge them just before we taste them. Then you give us your thoughts after we have tasted each others beers and given our thoughts to see how your views compared to ours.

Hopefully we can get you to judge them just before we taste them. Then you give us your thoughts after we have tasted each others beers and given our thoughts to see how your views compared to ours.
Do you want to do the whole thing "live" (I don't have to reveal my final opinions until everyone tasted all the beers)? Or would you prefer to taste them on your own and then after you make your own mind discuss thing together?

@Hoddy you brewed yet?
I’m a bit behind the curve for many reasons. However I will be brewing very early next week so I think I will be able to make a slightly fresh beer entry.

I’m looking forward to this brew off after the last BIPA brew off with @dan125 @Leon103 and @dave_77 I’m fascinated to see how everyone’s take of a DIPA comes out.

living in a dust bowl as we have all this building works going on and being confined to a single room in the house will make it a bit more challenging. But hey, wheres the fun in doing it easy.
07DDE50E-259F-43E7-8A1A-85E80E62C42A.jpeg

I’m a bit behind the curve for many reasons. However I will be brewing very early next week so I think I will be able to make a slightly fresh beer entry.

I’m looking forward to this brew off after the last BIPA brew off with @dan125 @Leon103 and @dave_77 I’m fascinated to see how everyone’s take of a DIPA comes out.

living in a dust bowl as we have all this building works going on and being confined to a single room in the house will make it a bit more challenging. But hey, wheres the fun in doing it easy.
View attachment 41048
'Dust Bowl DIPA' - has a nice ring to it athumb..

View attachment 41048
Looks like a messy job for the winter😲👎🏽

Latest posts

Back