Brew pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual for the Tefal essentials hob says it can boil up to 2.5L. It is 2.1kW max. Does anyone own one who could test it.
The ring I use on my AEG hob is 210mm dia and rated at 2.2 kw. With my pot brought up to the boil on 9(max) I can keep a 9 litre boil going by alternating between 6 and 7. 6 is just simmering, whereas 7 is a tad too vigorous so I have to keep an eye on thing. I partially cover the pot too.

Otherwise the pot base would have extended onto the unheated surface of the hob which I didn't want.
Why? I often cook with a pan larger than the 'ring'. The heat will conduct to all parts of the base...............

But what is your reason? wink...
1. It didn't seem right, which was good enough for me. Plus the instructions seem to indicate the pot base should always be placed within the ring zone.
2. I wasn't sure whether I could get a boil going with a larger pot, and even with the one I bought (before I bought it) wasn't even 100% sure I could get a boil going.

@terrym thanks. I'll experiment outdoors today and see how much water I can keep on a rolling boil with my Adventys Lite 2500. I'll see if the manual says anything about pot size.

On my AEG four-ring induction hob the manual says the cooking power will be reduced if the pan is smaller than the ring (diameter). It recommends a pan no larger than the ring for optimum efficiency but does not say you can't use a larger pan.

My portable hob can only support a pan up to 8kg, so I won't be trying to boil much more than that in case the glass breaks!

Last edited:
@terrym On my AEG four-ring induction hob the manual says the cooking power will be reduced if the pan is smaller than the ring (diameter). It recommends a pan no larger than the ring for optimum efficiency but does not say you can't use a larger pan.
I don't think my AEG hob is as sophisticated as yours. Its well over 10 years old and was due to be replaced this year as part of a kitchen refub which hasn't happened yet because of Covid. Its very analogue. The heating element(s) are either on or off governed by the panel heat setting and the ring thermostat.

When you do renew, try and get a hob that connects to a 32A supply. Some are only 13A which limits the power when you are using more than one ring. I'm pleased with my AEG and have fitted it in two homes now.

When you do renew, try and get a hob that connects to a 32A supply. Some are only 13A which limits the power when you are using more than one ring. I'm pleased with my AEG and have fitted it in two homes now.
It is already. The hob is rated at 6.4kW and is on a common supply with the double oven.

@terrym thanks. I'll experiment outdoors today and see how much water I can keep on a rolling boil with my Adventys Lite 2500. I'll see if the manual says anything about pot size.

On my AEG four-ring induction hob the manual says the cooking power will be reduced if the pan is smaller than the ring (diameter). It recommends a pan no larger than the ring for optimum efficiency but does not say you can't use a larger pan.

My portable hob can only support a pan up to 8kg, so I won't be trying to boil much more than that in case the glass breaks!
It takes about 0.63kw-h to evaporate 1 kg (1 litre) of water. So over an hour if you are using a 2.5kw heat input, in theory you should be able to boil off about 4 litres of water. But that's without heat loss from the pot.
I reckon to top up my pot with about 1 - 1.5 litres water during an hour's boil, say thats 1 kw-h. If my heat input is about 2/3 rated that means I am inputting about 1.5kw-h, so my heat losses are about 0.5kw-h, or about half the heat needed to evaporate the water
So if you used a guesstimate of 1/3 heat input ends up as as heat loss that leaves 2.7 litres boil off litres capability for a 2.5kw hob ring.
I wonder if your experiment bears out the above waffle. :laugh8:

Back