Brew shed build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Wanted to document my brew room/pub construction some place. It's actually the small half of a 1.5 garage but is timber framed so quite shed like in construction.

Started today with insulation to all walls. I'll be doing the ceiling too at a later date. It's going to be clad with OSB as I have quite a bit available for free but I'm going to be pimping it up a bit once everything is in.

Got a mains water feed coming in and a floor drain available for those spills and over zealous cleaning sessions. No electrics yet but they're going to be catered for. No natural light either but I'm not too concerned about that.

Not very exciting so far but I'll try to give regular updates. Planning to have a brewing side and a drinking side but I don't want to squish too much in and make it a pain to use. The brewing will be the important part (I can drink elsewhere).

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_132310.jpg
    IMG_20200723_132310.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20200723_132257.jpg
    IMG_20200723_132257.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20200723_132248.jpg
    IMG_20200723_132248.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 207
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Wanted to document my brew room/pub construction some place. It's actually the small half of a 1.5 garage but is timber framed so quite shed like in construction.

Started today with insulation to all walls. I'll be doing the ceiling too at a later date. It's going to be clad with OSB as I have quite a bit available for free but I'm going to be pimping it up a bit once everything is in.

Got a mains water feed coming in and a floor drain available for those spills and over zealous cleaning sessions. No electrics yet but they're going to be catered for. No natural light either but I'm not too concerned about that.

Not very exciting so far but I'll try to give regular updates. Planning to have a brewing side and a drinking side but I don't want to squish too much in and make it a pain to use. The brewing will be the important part (I can drink elsewhere).
Looking professional though would certainly think about ventilation as you mentioned there is no natural light from windows.

Good point re:ventilation. Got that covered as I'm going to vent out an extractor which will hopefully be moveable so I can put it above wherever the most moisture is coming from.

Nice idea on the daylight lighting, not heard of that before. I'm definitely going to go for some moody, warm lighting for the evenings (which could be anytime as no natural light) but it would be good to have bright light during a brew day.

Looking good. I have a humidity sensing extractor fan installed, very useful when setting up the rolling boil. Also painted with kitchen paint to prevent moisture problems.

I've managed to find some time to do a bit more on the brew room. Got first fix electrics in - enough for quite a few sockets, two lighting options and extraction. Walls are now boarded and ceiling almost in (couldn't lift a sheet of board up there on my own). I think it's probably best sort out the floor next but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing there yet. I do have lots of left over tiles which I want to use but I also want to insulate it so it might be a bigger job than initially thought. Anyway, here's where we are now at:
IMG_20200818_173554.jpg

I'm going to try to find an unloved, stainless steel, catering style sink unit for the back wall. I'm then planning on building a 'bar' to separate the brewing area from the drinking area. I've got loads of scrap bits of wood around so I'll be making it with 'character'.

Looks great! I'm contemplating an old sink of a similar style, do let us know if you find a good repeatable source!

How did you get the roof sheets up in the end? I have 2.4x1.2 5.5mm ply and even in half I think I need to prop it up with strategic 2x4s. That's for the weekend!

Looks great! I'm contemplating an old sink of a similar style, do let us know if you find a good repeatable source!

How did you get the roof sheets up in the end? I have 2.4x1.2 5.5mm ply and even in half I think I need to prop it up with strategic 2x4s. That's for the weekend!
Will let you know. I've found a good place in the North East but not committed yet.
As for ceiling, n just brute force of a couple of mates available to hokd it up.

Well that took a while...
I was taking a picture for a different thread today and remembered this thread. I messed up the regular updates so here we are at about 90% complete.

It took a while to get it to the stage where I could brew but that's life getting in the way. I think I did do my first brew in here around November time and I now have brew 4 in the FV.

I've also moved to kegs since winning a very generous prize on here sponsored by Ben at Keg that. The great thing is that the only things I've actually had to buy were the sink, extractor and the gas/taps for the kegs. Everything else was with recycled, donated or just found (including the cladding, tiles and the bar made from scaffold boards).

I now need to find a fridge that the kegs will fit in and I'd like to find a couple of nice old bar stools - just the short ones for around a nice old round table.

Here are the photos:

PXL_20220130_131032159.jpg

PXL_20220130_130940703.jpg
PXL_20220130_130917870.jpg
IMG_20211108_181529.jpg

Latest posts

Back