brew shed users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Reaction score
how many here are outside the main house??

looking at expanding past the kitchen worktop and that means buying and building a shed to move into and set up a full time system.

I'm still in the house but I did install an extractor hood and ducting to take the steam out. I also rebuilt a shed I got for free.
The floor, roof and about the bottom 1ft was rotten so had wood delivered to remake it. After doing that and felting it I don't think I would buy a ready made shed ever again. Easy to make one.
Most of the cheapy sheds from the likes of B&Q are at best a very thin shelter. The floors and roof are usually 9mm OSB so if they get slightly damp they fall apart, and I've seen thicker fence panels than their sides.
I used 22m OSB on 50mm battens for the floor close spaced, and 12mm marine ply for the roof. The sides were already tonge& groove weather boards so basically followed the original design.
I scavenged some window material from the council when they were replacing bus shelters. I asked nicely and they let me have a sheet free. Got some free colourful graffiti too.

One thing to consider very carefully is the size as if you get it right you don't waste much at all- so design it using the length of wood available. I made some raised beds last year that were 11ft x 7ft - because the timber came in 18ft lengths - no waste!:laugh8:
So consider making one if you are looking at prices.

All my kit is stored in the garage but when I brew I have to carry it through the house to the back garden where I brew. It is raining I erect a gazebo thing.

It's too dark to take an up to date photograph, but this brand new log cabin is mine, mine, mine, mine and even SWMBO is treated with suspicion if she wishes to go inside for anything!

After spilling wort in the kitchen and stinking the whole house out with an hour boil, I was banished to the garage; and then we moved to a house without a garage! aheadbuttaheadbutt

The shed (log cabin sounds too posh!) has been painted inside and out and electricity, benches etc have been installed. I can recommend it to anyone who needs to get out of the house!athumb..

IMG_1503.jpg

I took the photograph just now ...

IMG_1586.jpg

Well chuffed with the result as it has to hold brewing gear, hot and cold smoking stuff, BBQ and the house's freezer! The other shed is "waiting on weather" to tidy it up because I haven't fitted it out with electrics yet!

PS
@Clint
SWMBO thinks that it's a play-shed for big kids anyway!

The bench and various shelves etc are knocked up from some old bits and pieces of wood that either I had or came with the shed.

The paint job is "Copper Blush" which the lass at Homebase told me was "Like terracotta." It isn't! It's like a small girls dream of what Barbie's house should look like, but the more I drink the better it looks!

I included the photo of the doors to show off the curtains made by SWMBO. They started life as cushion covers on a Futon about ten years ago and are held up by two cut-down steel bench support tubes that rest on Lidl cup hooks. I daren't tell her how much the shed cost!

There's still a bit of work to do when it gets a bit warmer but I'm happy with the way it is at the moment.

IMG_1589.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg
IMG_1593.jpg

All my kit is stored in the garage but when I brew I have to carry it through the house to the back garden where I brew. It is raining I erect a gazebo thing.
Me too, although I store my kit in the shed that houses my model railway (and fermenting fridge).

Attachments

• DD126F7E-773A-48A6-A4C6-170DB6CA77AB.jpeg
    DD126F7E-773A-48A6-A4C6-170DB6CA77AB.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 172
Looks ace that, but just wait until the spiders move in.
I’ve always wondered about dampness using a shed, but more in terms of kit being spoilt.

I have "anti-insect" screens on the ventilation ("In" low down at the back and "Out" high up at the front) and a small oil filled heater set at 5*C; plus any boiling or heating is carried out with a door open regardless of the temperature!

However, I too wonder about the summer invasion of spiders.

I'm hoping that a regular dusting and a blast of Raid in all the nooks and crannies will keep most of them at bay but as a back-up I have a few of these traps ...

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/121601

... strategically placed around the shed.

BTW I have also had a few of the traps near the doors of my house and over the last four or five years it's been genuinely scary to see the type and size of insects that have tried to share our home with us!

Back