Brew Smarter Gluten Free extract kit review.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Finished this a couple of weeks ago, just sampled it tonight and WOW!

Originally brewed for my wife who is gluten intolerant, I have to say it is by far and away the best extract kit I have done. I usually am an all grain brewer, but I was a bit short on an order for free delivery, so stuck this on, not expecting much to be honest.

The kit contains two tins of extract, three packs of Amarillo hops, hop sack and yeast. Instructions were easy to follow, and I boiled in my grainfather, which made things easy. Fermentation was slow to start, but this may well have been due to my forgetting to aerate before adding the yeast. This was solved by a good rousing two days in, which sorted the problem. In fairness, there didn't seem to be much yeast, so an extra packet may well prove wise, and I would certainly use two packs next time round.

For those that get a home brew 'twang' when using extract, I am happy to say that there is no such twang with this kit-RESULT!

As it is still a bit young it is very slightly sweet (for my palate), but I am sure that this will go once it matures:- it is already reduced between kegging and tasting!

All in all a great kit, reasonably priced and Gluten Free so great for everyone as a slightly strong (5% ABV) session ale. Highly recommended. In fact if I could have got extarct kits to taste like this, I may very well not have gone to all grain brewing!

I tried that extract years ago and found it gave a slight but definite strawberry flavour, do you notice that at all?

I tried that extract years ago and found it gave a slight but definite strawberry flavour, do you notice that at all?
I can't say that I have, however my tastebuds got shot on ultra hot curries years ago! There does seem to be a kind of fruity/juicyness to it, which makes for a very refreshing pint. Had one yesterday, and the fruitiness has subsided somewhat, but still very clen and refreshing.

yes thats true the clarity ferm I believe was created to help beer clear and stop chill haze. The byproduct was that they found it reduced the gluten in the beer also to below the limits to allow it to be called gluten free.
Ps I haven't tried it but have read up on it quite a bit as I have worked with several people who are Coeliacs
Hope this helps

yes thats true the clarity ferm I believe was created to help beer clear and stop chill haze. The byproduct was that they found it reduced the gluten in the beer also to below the limits to allow it to be called gluten free.
Ps I haven't tried it but have read up on it quite a bit as I have worked with several people who are Coeliacs
Hope this helps

I've used clarity ferm, and it did indeed help with chill haze, once I'd given it time for yeast haze to go away (I misjudged at first, thinking it was chill haze, when it was probably suspended yeast). I haven't been able to test it's gluten reducing properties though, the only person I know who is gluten intolerant doesn't like beer. :headbang:

http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-iii/

Someone on youtube was saying you can make any beer gluten free with clarity ferm.

I use clarity ferm all the time now, as the wife is gluten intolerant. I find that it does stop chill haze a bit, but unless I leave the beer for at least two months it is not really sparkligly clear. It is really simple to use, so I always add it. That way if anyone comes who wants a beer but is gluten intolerant, they can still have one.

Unfortunately for my wife, it now appears that she is also alcohol intolerant. Oh well more for me :beer6:

I use clarity ferm all the time now, as the wife is gluten intolerant. I find that it does stop chill haze a bit, but unless I leave the beer for at least two months it is not really sparkligly clear. It is really simple to use, so I always add it. That way if anyone comes who wants a beer but is gluten intolerant, they can still have one.

Unfortunately for my wife, it now appears that she is also alcohol intolerant. Oh well more for me :beer6:

Was the same story with my bitter, hence I blamed yeast haze. lol I've also found that ALL beer needs more than 2 days in the fridge to avoid chill haze, and to improve head retention. Assuming I'm serving it chilled that is (which I always do).

Hmmm, Nanny State clone with clarity ferm?

Back