Brew stand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
What do you use to stand you fv on while it's fermenting to save moving it when racking

Mine is in a fridge in the garage. I carry it indoors on bottling day... carefully!
Don't fancy the idea of moving it gonna keep it under my stairs but needs to be high up to move it into second fV

I only move mine to a bottling bucket. Things to consider if you're planning on syphoning in a restricted space...you'll need height to get an auto syphon running plus I like to look into the bucket and move the syphon as the wort drops. I also tilt the bucket towards the end.

I only move mine to a bottling bucket. Things to consider if you're planning on syphoning in a restricted space...you'll need height to get an auto syphon running plus I like to look into the bucket and move the syphon as the wort drops. I also tilt the bucket towards the end.
I've got 6.5 feet clearance so should be ok may just build a stool to keep it on

In the Utility room usually either on the chest freezer or by its side. Bottle with the FV on the freezer - not noticed any problems with carrying it carefully (apart from its blooming heavy)

In the Utility room usually either on the chest freezer or by its side. Bottle with the FV on the freezer - not noticed any problems with carrying it carefully (apart from its blooming heavy)
Yes I have a chest freezer in my utility room I reckon that'd work cheers

My FV goes into the brew fridge which is on a stand about 45cm high so after fermentation is finished I just open the fridge door, connect a hose to the bottom tap in the FV and transfer beer to my PB.
IMG-20200725-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit of a faff shifting the FV when it is bottling time, weight more than anything plus you need to be careful for it not to slosh around.

I usually plan ahead a few days and carefully move it ready for bottling day and stick it on a stand that I made that props the one end up to tilt it and then leave it to settle and for most of the sediment to slide down to the one end a bit.

Before I started using a conical fermenter, my beer used to ferment in the kitchen and I simply lifted the fermenter onto the counter top. Mostly I used S04 which is a highly floculant yeast, so never had any problems kicking up yeast. An auto-stillage (used for gradually tilting casks where beer is served directly from them) would have been great for nearing the end of the batch, but something shoved under the back works just as well.

Back