Brewday! 😬

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some tinned strawberry wine a few months ago that tasted quite a lot like alcoholic Calpol.

Dry though, can’t stand sweet wine.

Maybe that would’ve been better if I’d blended it with rhubarb? Hmmm

I can say though that rhubarb and gooseberry are most definitely good friends.

Partially covering my rhubarb in my garden is a large fuchsia bush that gave lovely blooms last year.
This year i intend to make a fuchsia wine from the pods that develop after the flowering is finished.

I have had reasonable luck growing the red (dessert) goosberries in pots.
Sweeter than the usual green kind & we eat them off the bush.
But the plants can be split after a couple of years to make 2 bushes.
Also had rasberries/blackberries/tayberries. Minature apple trees & a plum tree.
Alas, in spite of trying, our garden is too small to grow quantities needed to make beer/wine. Can't even grow enough for eating.

You raise an interesting point jof,Take apple juice for example 1lt of apple juice can had for under one pound.But just think how many apples needed to give their little lives for 1lt of juice,At least a fivers worth if not more.

I'm quite tempted to try making strawberry 🍓 and Kiwi 🥝 wine.
Some thing's things don't taste quite the same fermented though so I've no idea what it would be like 😅

You can always put the fruit in secondary, then you get a more natural fruit flavour. Something I've recently learned. And you need less fruit so it's cheaper. What I did on my mango wine is make it stronger than usual, and then added 500g frozen mango so the extra water didn't water it down too much. I left it like this in the fridge for about 10 days. Best not to clear the wine until after the fruit comes out though. Little things I'm learning along the way. I did actually put fruit in primary as well but I'm going to try it without next time. 😊

Thanks John! Really enjoying it! Hubby has an app called Brewfather for his beer and I’m jealous because I can’t find one for my wine! 😂
Not sure what you are looking for in an app, but I use one called Mead Mate for my wine, cider and Mead. Both for keeping recipes and for recording information of my brews, ingredients, hydrometer readings and so on.
It's free on Google play store 👍

Latest posts

Back