Brewday is done, is this ok ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Burnley

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, I was doing the boil and I got the foamy head at the point of boil as usual, however it stayed for most of the boil, I have never seen that before. Also when I chilled I didn't get any flocculation of the solids even though I added 1/2 a whirlfloc on 15 mins.

I hit all my targets and the sample from the test jar tasted normal.

Grist was

MO 86%
Wheat malt 9%
Naked Oat malt 5%

I treated my water with a campden tablet and water additions for a NEIPA

Does anybody know why this has happened ?

Thanks 😁

Sorry but doesn't Wheat aid head retention :laugh8:
Could not help myself but if everything seems ok it seems ok to meathumb..

Hi, I was doing the boil and I got the foamy head at the point of boil as usual, however it stayed for most of the boil, I have never seen that before. Also when I chilled I didn't get any flocculation of the solids even though I added 1/2 a whirlfloc on 15 mins.

I hit all my targets and the sample from the test jar tasted normal.

Grist was

MO 86%
Wheat malt 9%
Naked Oat malt 5%

I treated my water with a campden tablet and water additions for a NEIPA

Does anybody know why this has happened ?

Thanks 😁
It sounds distinctly odd to me, both the persistent foam and the absence of hot and cold breaks. I wonder if there was any cleaning agent left in the kettle.

Last edited:
I know what was causing this now, but I don't know why it happened.

It was the hop spider, after the batch above I did another brew using the hop spider and the same thing happened again, upon removing the hop spider the foaming died off and it went back to a normal boil.

I brewed again this weekend without the hop spider and it was all normal.

That still doesn’t make obvious sense to me. Could it that the hop spider is acting as a big heat sink and preventing you from getting to boiling. I’ve never run a “boil” at say 95C to see what happens. Did you get a good boil when using the hop spider?

Didn't make sense to me either Hazelwood in fact when I put my hop spider in and it touches the bottom it acts like a nucleation points and aids my boiling at the top of the boil. All I can think is and surely this can not be possible is that the spider has picked up some contaminant that aids foaming unless it is creating nucleation enough to form a head which mine doesn't

Yes I'm achieving boil, I get the hot break where there is high foaming but it doesn't completely calm down to, let's say like a pan of boiling water, when I removed the hop spider it all settled down.

Anyway the hop spider is now put away and I'm back to throwing the hops in and all is fine, and I'm having a go at whirlpooling with a paddle, so far so good.

Latest posts

Back