Brewday No.2 - Putting on the big boy pants

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madhouse

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my first ever brewday went fine, bottled it on Saturday and all seems and tasted ok - but it was a kit.

So yesterday I put my big boy pants on and did my first AG brew. I learnt a lot!!

I’m very much small batch and aim for about 4L in my FV so you might have to adjust to my measurements.

Firstly, 1.6kg of malt is a lot of volume. I need a new pan! But I did find that the mash went ok and while I hadn’t planned to sparge that’s what I ended up doing to ensure my wort didn’t end up all over the kitchen.

I need more volume in my strike water. I used 5L but could have done with 6 or more, I had to use my emergency boiled and cooled water to top up - as such I missed my OG target.

I need to create myself a brewday checklist as I forgot to add half a protafloc tablet at 15 mins. But as that was all I forgot I can live with that.

Having transferred the wort to the FV it looked like I had a massive amount of trub and I must admit I was a tad concerned, but I remembered a thread on here that said it’ll settle down - it has halved already. Phew.

Overall I think things went ok and my Maple Stout seems to be happy and is fermenting already.

OG is 1.066 (target 1.071), just a month or so until I find out for sure how yesterday went.

Attachments

• 7824FA49-B2B0-44A5-992B-18EFD1AA09CB.jpeg
    7824FA49-B2B0-44A5-992B-18EFD1AA09CB.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 61
Nice one.
Although, I'm not sure I could through the AG process for such a small batch.
I'd drink that in one sitting. :laugh8:

Haha, I’m going for the ‘little & often’ approach with a dash of experimentation for good measure. I’m getting another FV with a wider neck to make FV additions & dry-hopping easier. Bonus to that is the ability to do a weekly (ish) brew and stagger the two.

Needless to say I’m brewing to a higher ABV as there’s no point doing a small batch of sessionable ale.

Looks great!

I've just got mine in the FV, missed my OG by a country mile, not sure why.... Tastes great though but i've added a little bit of sugar to raise the abv a little...

Quick look at it this morning and the yeast are having a field day - foam’s getting close to the air-lock. Will have another look later as it might need an extra bit of hose.

Is there a proper name for that foam/bubbles?

Quick look at it this morning and the yeast are having a field day - foam’s getting close to the air-lock. Will have another look later as it might need an extra bit of hose.

Is there a proper name for that foam/bubbles?
It's called the krausen (pronounced kroyzen). Not surprising that you got a lot of it with a high OG brew in a demijohn, with not much headspace.

I did a couple of one gallon AG brews, but found that for the amount of time it took, it made sense to upgrade to 2.5 gallon batches with a Wliko stockpot and a 15l fermenting bucket.

Thanks.

Last brew was a kit and it was nowhere near as lively. Forgot to take OG readings with that one but I expect it was much lower. Headspace adjustment is definitely another thing I’ve learnt from this brew.

A bigger stock pot is already on order, could certainly do a bigger brew in it.

While I like the experimentation factor of smaller brews at the moment I can totally see how a bigger batch would be useful when brewing for family events - same time outlay and twice the beer!

Back