Brewday: Rhubarb and ginger cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That should be interesting mate, your ratio of rhubarb and ginger and sugar to apple juice is very different to mine, plus I used yeast with sweetener and yeast nutrient (e.g. more sugar!) but all good. interested to see how yours goes. Mine is bubbling way very well indeed 20 to 21 degs c in fermenter fridge indeed 21 litres in there.
Nice to have you here doing the same thing. Maybe we can do a bottle swap to compare.

I have just found 2 glass demijohns in the attic so i might do some straight cider with those.

Welcome to the forum and getting stuck in.

That should be interesting mate, your ratio of rhubarb and ginger and sugar to apple juice is very different to mine, plus I used yeast with sweetener and yeast nutrient (e.g. more sugar!) but all good. interested to see how yours goes. Mine is bubbling way very well indeed 20 to 21 degs c in fermenter fridge indeed 21 litres in there.
Nice to have you here doing the same thing. Maybe we can do a bottle swap to compare.

I have just found 2 glass demijohns in the attic so i might do some straight cider with those.

Welcome to the forum and getting stuck in.

That sounds like a plan! Will post an update and taste test when they're done fermenting!

Agreed. Just measured mine and it is at 1002 so finished fermenting, still tastes medium sweet, fruity flavour not too rhubarby but it is definitely there and ginger hit at he end. Will figure out to bottle carbonate this weekend, busy during the week. Just set the fermenter fridge down to 4 degrees

How did yours turn out.

I have just bought some more frozen rhubarb so I will putting this on again. it was delicious last time though this time I will put more fizz into it, one of the bottles last time had real good bubbles in it but most of the others were still

IMG-20191004-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20191004-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20191004-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20191004-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20191004-WA0008.jpeg
20191005_115650.jpg

Hi all, happy new year and all that jazz!

I did this yesterday, yeast been in 24 hours and zero activity (yeast packet is approx 1 year old) should I be getting another yeast packet and throwing that in or give it more time?

The yeast packet came out of a bulldogs cider kit which (in theory) could be on a shelf for ages!

Sg was 1054 somehow as well! Gonna be a wild one, assuming the yeast gets its **** into gear!

***UPDATE***
Lide has domed and co2 appears to be being forced out under the lid seal, so I've taped the lid down for now!
New fermenter required I feel

Attachments

• 20200107_074427.jpg
    20200107_074427.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 146
Evening all...

So, I quite fancied some sort of rhubarby cider, I made one before with juice from Morrison's (rhubarb, ginger & Apple) but they don't do that one any more.. doh. So I decided to do something along the same lines.

Stuff
20L Morrison's cheapo AJ
3 x packs of morrisons 450g Yorkshire rhubarb
2 packs of ginger from Sainsbury's
1L strong tea (5 bag)
5tsp pectolase dissolved in a little warm water
Cider yeast with sweetener from eBay

How to
In a big pan I added the chopped up rhubarb, ginger and a little sugar I found inn the cupboard (ca. 200g)

Brought to the boil and simmered for 30 mins, at which point it had turned to mush ! I could be bothered sorting it out last night so left it overnight7 until today. I strained it through a sieve and chucked the fruity mush.

Into a sterilized FV I added

20L AJ cartons
The rhubarby liquid (about 3L)
Pectolase solution
The strong tea
Topped up with cold tap water to 25L
Temp ca. 20 deg

Gave it a good stir up and took an SG reading.. 1.035

Popped it in the cupboard and sprinkled the yeast on the top.

I'll intend to prime with 350g of sugar solution, which will take ABV to 5.3% when fermented out to 1.000

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Hi Roddy can you remember how much ginger 2 packs amounted to ? I have a pack of frozen chopped ginger from morrisons and a plentiful supply of rhubarb at the moment .
Thanks
Matt.

Quick update....

Well it’s down to 1.000 after 5 days.... So around 6% if it doesn’t go any more. not quite the strong rhubarb taste I was hoping for but it’s very tasty still. I’ll knock up some rhubarb syrup to prime bottles with and see how we finish off!
I’m planning on carbing 2/3 and leaving the rest still as it’s pretty damn drinkable!!!

I scrounged 2kg of Rhubarb of a neighbour. I stewed this with a small amount of sugar, left this overnight and then added it to 22 litres of AJ with 1 litre of strong tea, yeast, yeast nutrient and 400g of Taj frozen crushed ginger from Morrison’s. Post fermentation I batch primed it with 10g/litre of sugar. It has an amazing ginger kick.

Latest posts

Back