Brewday : Sungold Thu 19 August

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm after some inspiration, having not brewed since February (I know, I know....) I'll be sparking up the Fledgling Brewery this weekend.

I'm after some inspiration as to what to brew for my fisrt one back, anyone fancy helping?

I want a fairly pale ale of around 1.042 low(ish) IBU so I can get it on tap pretty quick.

I have most grains available so thats not a worry, hops I have are Challenger, Northdown, Bobek, Nelson Sauvin, Fuggles, Goldings, Zeus, Amarillo, Simcoe and Cascade.

Brewlength will be a 60L batch but if you fancy making a suggesion post it to your scale and i'll convert.

I'm not being lazy, just cant think what to brew so wouldn't mind a hand :thumb:

Oh, a good name for the brew would be handy too :)

:thumb: Wez -welcome back :party:

My weekend brew is going to be a BIG kenny - maybe with a few tweaks.........

BIG WEZZA :lol:

this one`s for you wez :thumb: ( as for your brew :wha: ) :whistle:

I'll brew a BK next, but need something on tap quick.

Enjoy the Kenny :thumb:

Wez,
For me you can't go wrong with an all pale mash, hopped with goldings and fuggles.......classic :drink:
Cascades would be interesting as a single hop for both a bittering and aroma addition......stack the later additions maybe??
There is a local brewer kicking out a very nice ale using cascades in one of their beers at the moment....only 3.6% abv, but drinks superbly.

Have a great (and trouble free) brew day......I've got new kit try out myself this weekend too :D

I`m just about to bottle Rick`s Revenge

mainly pale malt a little amber and munich and loads of nelson sauvin - smells great :cool:

rickthebrew said:
..... munich......
Loving the munich in my brews :thumb:
IMO, flaked maize adds a nice taste to lighter beers....but some don't like it.

Wez, good to see you pop your head up. Hope family are keeping well.

I would think a nice pale ale using some of those nelson sauvin at the end would be rather nice. 1040, 30 ibu. You could almost drink it straight from primary (not that I do or advocate such behaviour :whistle: ).

Donkey Bitter
Length 23 ltr
3.5 kg pale
0.4 kg xtal
60gms Fuggles (bittering)
30 gms Goldings (aroma)
ABV 4.5% at 85% BHE

Thanks all :thumb:

I've been getting the brewery set up again after sitting idle since February!

Also managed to test a nice tidy bit of kit that Muddy has custom made for me which will let me control the fermentation temp of 60-70L beer. I will be taking pics :cool:

I think I'll be going with Alemans Summer Ale recipe.

Pale Malt
Bobek FWH
Nelson 15 min addition
Nelson 70c steep hops

Looking forward to tomorrow :grin:

Finally getting to brew this today :cool: HLT on.

My eldest daughter is assistant brewer today, should be interesting :) she's already named the brew after her favourite tomato :shock:

Sungold Summer Ale

Update..

I'm just waiting for it to come to the boil, looks like I have underestimated my efficiency, the brew was intended to be 1.040 (75%) but I have 85L at 1.033 in the boiler so it's going to be nearer 1.050 I think (aiming for 60L into the fermenter).

So Wez,

Do you sparge as much as you can out of the grain and not just to a specific volume?

Are you going to liquor back to the target OG or just go with the flow?

I usually use the sugar points system and just collect what I need then dilute to pre boil volume but I thought i'd check efficiency as it's only the 2nd time using the thermobox as a tun so I sparged down to 1.012.

I have diluted down to 85L and will see what I have after 90 mins.

All done and dusted, ended up with 70L at 1.042 from 10kg pale malt :shock:

Here are a few pics from the brew.

Sparging :

IMG_0622.jpg

Sparging and pumping from tun to boiler :

IMG_0623.jpg

Bitterng hops (Bobek)

IMG_0624.jpg

Into the boil :

IMG_0625.jpg

Temp control :

IMG_0627.jpg

Beer line chiller connected to temp control :

IMG_0628.jpg

All transferred to fermenter :

IMG_0629.jpg

TC-10 controlling temp :

IMG_0631.jpg

Really enjoyed the day, looking forward to the next brew.

It's good to be back ;) :grin:

Latest posts

Back