Brewdog culture of fear for Employees

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Just seen the headlines on the BBC website, it seems that Brewdog have had a toxic attitude to its staff.

Former staff at Brewdog have alleged a "culture of fear" at the beer firm with a "toxic attitude" to junior employees.
In an open letter, signatories said a "significant number" of former staff had "suffered mental illness as a result of working at BrewDog".
They claimed that the firm was built around a "cult of personality" of founders James Watt and Martin Dickie.
This is a snippet from the website.
Just wondered what members thoughts were on this

Wait, I see posts from James Watt on LinkedIn about how wonderful they are and all the great things they are doing for the world.

Least surprising news ever. Delighted to have always avoided their beer like the plague and will continue to do so.

I just saw this story on another (general discussion) forum I follow. The immediate reaction of the first few responses was very much "Reach for the pitchforks!", people vowing to never buy their beer again, etc.

I thought I would hold off for a moment and see if perhaps a viewpoint from THBF, perhaps from someone with personal knowledge of the company, would lead to a fairer picture.

They've always been 'intense' which would not fit well with wokey/hipstery types? - So whilst the beer appeals to that demographics working for them as one of that demographic isn't going to end well. Cut the **** make good beer and don't be an RRR's of a boss. I'd imagine it wouldn't be great If James and Martins personality was replicated down the management structure. There needs to be a variety or personalities in the right post for staff satisfaction. There could well be a layer of manangement that are hanging on to the top two's coat-tails by mimicking their behaviour and that's never going to end well.

None of that really surprises me. They were always trying too hard to look like the good guys.... and lo behold they're not.

However, most medium to large companies will have disgruntled employees.. but it does seem that have more than their fair share.

If you no longer want to buy their beer.. then just download "DIY Dog" as they give you all their recipes anyway. Including Sink the Bismark and Tactical nuclear penguin.. although they may be tricky to do at home.

If you ever watched the bbc programme Who's the Boss on BrewDog they didn't come across well at all.

Funny how some ethics go out of the window when money raises it head. I think if it was to secure my families future I would do it too

The thing is did anyone actually speak up,challenge any poor attitudes or the way they were treated? All through my working life I've welcomed constructive criticism and expected a bollocking if my work hasn't been up to scratch or I'd partook in pisstaking..NEVER have I stood for any derogatory stuff,abuse of position or poor treatment. Sh1te management is just that and will always get found out.
Come on Brewdog,sort it out!

We might all sell out for the millions, but its you can still call them out for their ridiculous "anti establishment" chat. They are dishonest, slaves to corporate greed and its ok to be that. Just dont lie to us about what you are, because you will get caught, and folk like me will be ready to dance on your grave 😃

The thing is did anyone actually speak up,challenge any poor attitudes or the way they were treated?
I was mulling that over too. On one hand I do know it can be difficult to speak up if the culture is bad; but on the other hand if these former staff did feel that they had suffered mental illness as a result of their workplace then the proper way to go about that is though an employment tribunal.

I think the founders response is as expected..pointless arguing about it. But...I bet you could generate that same letter from many ex employees of many,many companies.
Brewdog also employ loads of young people,probably have a high turnover and in normal times have a fast pace and full on work load....in recent years I've seen lots come and go where I work because it's...like...work. You have to learn on your feet to start,it's intense and can be quite messy,we're running multi million £ machinery making precise products...there's lots of training..which I'm still getting after 20 years in likewise jobs...always learning...but there's no place for people who want to be baby sat...or "don't like it" ..or can't be arsed or whatever.
No excuse for treating the workers poorly but being at the bottom of the sh1t heap you're not getting the car,expenses and a cigar..get use to it..
I wonder how many happy staff they got?

I'm not saying it's the case in BD but there's a looming generation of soppy,bone idle layabouts...no,I think we've already got the lay abouts who "can't " work...its "I don't fancy doing that" lot...obviously no responsibility...

We might all sell out for the millions, but its you can still call them out for their ridiculous "anti establishment" chat.

Well, that's their sales pitch at their target market, isn't it? No different to Ben and Jerry's, or even Richard Branson back in the day! :laugh8:

Way I see it, that's not so much a moral failing, it's just "that's capitalism, baby!" You either roll with it, or you don't.

Back