BrewDog Diy Dog Recipe App

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, cool app and very useful. I like the ability to export the XML file.

I did just come across a bug: when searching for Elvis Juice the app crashed and Android shut it down. I'm running Android 6.0.1 on a Oneplus 1.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the positive feedback, as i say, this is my first app so there will be a few bugs that pop up!

jceg316, i've fixed the bug and published a new version so go download it and let me know how you get on.
Linalmeemow, all the details on the recipes are straight out of the PDF, there's as much or as little detail as BrewDog have provided, they have some useful info in the frist 14 pages of the PDF, its under HomeBrew 101 in my app. Amongst a few other ideas on my ToDo list, i'm working on a few new screens in upcoming releases to allow you to use any of the recipes as a template, and tweak it to your own custom recipe.
If anyone has any ideas they'd like to see, let me know.

Regards the BrewDog suing issue, they say the Recipes are completely free for anyone to do as they wish with them, they actually encourage it! I'm not selling the information and pretending it's mine, i've made clear that they are BrewDog recipes.

Cheers again all. :thumb:

The recipes in the pdf do give an idea of approximate hop addition times though, by start / middle / end / dry hop / fv etc. It would be really useful if these timings were in the app.

I don't think you will have any trouble Willy. You are promoting their beer after all. My tablet is so bloody old nothing really runs on it any more including your app. High time i got an upgrade, first thing i am gonna install when i do. Cheers and good on you. :)

Cheers BeerCat! I've only made the app compatible as far back as Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, if you've nothing important you need on your tablet i'd be tempted to try a factory reset before forking anything out for a new one.

Spread the word to anyone who will listen, and even those who won't! lol. Cheers again lads.

I'm maybe 2 months away from publishing my own app (unrelated to brewing) so I appreciate the work that goes into this. To program you not only need to learn Java but also need to learn Android Studio, xml, Sqlite and a host of other skills. I've a working app in Beta stages but I need to add a host of features like backing up and restoring data, a print function and how to implement a 3 month trial (I want my users dependent on the app so they feel a need to purchase). I don't as yet know how to do these but I'll figure them out.

I will be selling my, app price still TBD but I'm curious how much you make from the ads? I don't mind you not saying BTW, I understand but if you want to send them private it's fine. Do you know about Amazon Underground? Have a check of it as it might be another business model for you.

I'll leave you a positive review and click on a few ads if it helps. Thanks for this, I will attempt some of these recipes at some point so your app will come in handy.

Although i have a little bit of a history in Coding, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you on this GlentoranMark. My brother came across the BrewDog Diy Dog PDF a couple of months ago, i decided to try and put it into an easy to use app for a couple reasons, we were planning on brewing a few of the recipes and this would simplify our selection procedure and also i always like to learn new things and try to expand my skill set, or lack of! The ads were really only put in to try and see if i could make back my Google Developers fee i had to pay to publish the app.

Thanks for the likes etc.
If you come across anything you need a hand with and want to ask feel free to pm me & i'll try my best to help you, and if you come across any great new tools\components\suggestions for anything, i'm all ears!
Good Luck with your own app, even though i don't actually know what it's for! :lol:

I'd rather not say until it's released as it's in a sector with no other app available yet I think may have a large market of 10k+ downloads with a fraction paying. Just like your app it used SQLite (or maybe that's just an array?) with a recyclerview and filtered search. I've still to add a search function like yours but I have filters in place already, I seen a post on how to add it, it's just a matter of coding it to my needs.

I've struggled with Android for several years. I programmed on a ZX Spectrum as a kid and all the bad habits that came with it. Only when I took a course on Udacity in December did everything click into place. Probably like yourself, as you solve one issue, another one pops up!

I've thought about the Amazon Underground as a possible solution as I calculated the app will be used approximately 1 hour per day screen time. Multiply that by 10k and it could be a nice monthly wage for me as opposed to a one off payment. Only now that batteries last a full day would my app work but I was also surprised at how little battery it is actually using now I'm in Beta.

Sorry for being so cagey but I don't want someone else stealing my idea. I've showed it to a few people and their pretty impressed even though it's still slightly buggy and more features needed.

I will be releasing a fixture list for my local football club when the new season starts (maybe an idea for yourself?) but it could be adopted to any sport/ club ect. There is an app available but with no widget. I plan on creating one with a widget for a home screen. It won't have many downloads, maybe 1k at most so that's why I'm curious about the ad supported versions. 98p might not sound like much but it's 98p you never had and the more people download this the more revenue you will generate. From small acorns eh?

I've a couple of other apps planned but I want my business app up and running first as I think it will generate me the most money. I think maybe another 6 to 8 weeks as I'm real world testing it and need to add some more features. If anyone has an idea for an app, even a none brewing one then throw it up. I'm sure me or WillyMo will have a look at the possibilities.

Just wanted to let everyone know the DiyDawg doesn't contain ads anymore. Plus I've added a print Recipe option.
Few more things on the to-do list too.

Latest posts

Back