Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another marketing stunt? The only people who will be using the reciepe's of course, is us HBers. One of the big reasons we HB is because we don't want to pay pub/supermarket prices. So I don't think they're going to lose out much financially as we wont be buying much if any of they're beer anyway. I think they also know it's quite hard to create an exact clone and the best most HBer's can do is produce a beer 'in the style of'

The only thing they've left out, as far as I can see, is the boil length. That may be their secret. Shouldn't be too hard to reverse engineer the recipe to find out. Unless they assume a 60min boil for all of them.

Another marketing stunt? The only people who will be using the reciepe's of course, is us HBers. One of the big reasons we HB is because we don't want to pay pub/supermarket prices. So I don't think they're going to lose out much financially as we wont be buying much if any of they're beer anyway. I think they also know it's quite hard to create an exact clone and the best most HBer's can do is produce a beer 'in the style of'

After a quick perusal I can see why their beers are so expensive. They can't be bothered about competition but if I had a brewery I wouldn't be doing this.

This is insane.

Quite good marketing trick. People will run for their beers to compare them with the ones we'll brew at home now.

Anyway. Checked some of these recipes. Mashing for 25 mins. Really?

After a quick perusal I can see why their beers are so expensive. They can't be bothered about competition but if I had a brewery I wouldn't be doing this.

I guess it's a calculated risk. If it was a marketing ploy it's worked to a certain extent as four seperate thread's have been started on the forum alone. I imagine there's similar interest being seen on other HB forums/blogs/etc

My initial thought too. How many home brewers will go and buy some brew dog beers to find one they want to clone. I've never had a brew dog beer so wouldn't know if I produced a good clone without buying one. Having said that, it's still amazing that they did this and it might even inspire new home brewers. I for one would love at least 50 home brewers locally then no doubt the nearest shop would be a couple of miles away and not 25 miles away.

My initial thought too. How many home brewers will go and buy some brew dog beers to find one they want to clone. I've never had a brew dog beer so wouldn't know if I produced a good clone without buying one. Having said that, it's still amazing that they did this and it might even inspire new home brewers. I for one would love at least 50 home brewers locally then no doubt the nearest shop would be a couple of miles away and not 25 miles away.

Your right. If the book inspires new HBers and then they find their way here to get advice on how to make great beer cheaply, it can only be a good thing :thumb:(may be we should ask them if they'll put a link to HBF in the book so people can learn how to make the recipes :-D:cool:)

totally unbelievable a very good gesture from a top company,our local homebrew club(dundee)meet in brewdog and they encourage you to bring along bottles for other members to sample and give opinions on and there is talk in the near future of them installing brewing equipment in the pub so we can do a brew when we meet leading up to if someone comes in with a cracking recipe they will put it on tap,,,oh the pride!
I for one hope they release this as a proper book it would be great to have at hand while brewing,or just for flicking through getting ideas cheers to brewdog...lagerlad

I've seen this advertised on their Facebook but the time doesn't suit me due to when I get in from work and the fact I have 2 very small children!

I take it it's worth coming along to when my children can 1) go to sleep on their own and 2) not wake up until morning?

I was wondering about those really high alcohol ones, where they mention freezing. How does that work? Do you freeze after fermentation to solidify the water, leaving alcohol? Not that I'm planning on trying it, more out of interest really.

I've seen this advertised on their Facebook but the time doesn't suit me due to when I get in from work and the fact I have 2 very small children!

I take it it's worth coming along to when my children can 1) go to sleep on their own and 2) not wake up until morning?

... ditto.

So, the HBF has a Tayside contingent!

I was wondering about those really high alcohol ones, where they mention freezing. How does that work? Do you freeze after fermentation to solidify the water, leaving alcohol? Not that I'm planning on trying it, more out of interest really.

Freezing after fermentation i believe - you'd have to really have excessive amounts of volume to get even a decent amount of viable beer though.

I haven't had time to look at the recipes book yet as I'm bottling today but....HOME DISTILLING IS ILLIGAL IN THE UK AND DISCUSSION OF DISTILLING ON THE FORUM IS AGAINST FORUM RULES

MyQul, isn't freeze-distillation a grey area?

So, the HBF has a Tayside contingent!

well it certainly looks like it does sure the next meeting is march 17th would be good to meet other brewers from the area,i am not a seasoned brewer by any means only been to 2 meetings, a few kits and half a dozen AGs but its all about helping each other out swapping recipes and the best bit "the tasting" cheers lagerlad

MyQul, isn't freeze-distillation a grey area?

I'm not 100% sure of the legal position but we've had posts about freeze distilling on the forum before that I think we decided to categorise (for forum purposes anyway) as distilling and against forum rules. I'll discuss it with the mod team and get back to you. But for now could we not discuss any sort of distilling. Cheers.

Alcohol freezes at a lower temperature. I suppose the technique would be to just about cool the beer enough so that ice forms on the top, then throw away the frozen bit, which would concentrate the alcohol in the beer because there would be less alcohol in the frozen part. I don't know why this would be better than simply adding alcohol to fortify.

The thought occurs that the bit that was frozen might still be drinkable, so I suppose it would be a way of making a low alcohol beer as well.

After freezing and separating you'd have to artificially carbonate, wouldn't you? Surely freezing would drive the carbon dioxide off.

Interesting, for Tactical Nuclear Penguin it suggests using a method which is quite the taboo subject. (Brewer's Tip) Wonder if that's the official method or if they use the centrifuge for that

Nope, that's how they do it (in the ice cream factory over the road IIRC).

Back