Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn people beat me to the post at posting this news! I'm very excited to trying to recreate some beers now I have an actual recipe from the brewery themselves. Will this inspire other breweries to follow suite? I probably don't think so (I hold my breath) as BrewDog do like straying away from the norm.
Regardless the PDF is immense! Especially as they could charge in a proper book format, considering their pre-packed beer kits are on the pricey side. I'll save this document just encase this is a timed free exclusive, the Works printer best not run out of ink come Tuesday when Im back in.
Time to get Punked!

Which one bungle? The one in the first post does. I've also been merging new threads started about the reciepe book (we're up to 7 so far) with this one.
Yep, I know some people only come here now and then and some see stuff elsewhere that's interesting then just post without looking what's already here. Not to knock it because it good to share but it would be good to either subscribe to sub forums to see updates or check the forum before posting.

It's a great PR exercise, a lot of brewers and homebrewers don't like Brewdog, so they are presumably looking to ingratiate themselves.

Having had a flick through, I'm a bit wary of some of the grain bills. Huge amounts of caramalt and crystal in some. And no.169 All Day Long is 100% caramalt! Although the blurb in the recipe said it's made from 7 specialty malts. So have all the ingredients been entered correctly?

It's a great PR exercise, a lot of brewers and homebrewers don't like Brewdog, so they are presumably looking to ingratiate themselves.

Having had a flick through, I'm a bit wary of some of the grain bills. Huge amounts of caramalt and crystal in some. And no.169 All Day Long is 100% caramalt! Although the blurb in the recipe said it's made from 7 specialty malts. So have all the ingredients been entered correctly?
Yep, now I've had a good look some recipes look very strange. I'm thinking it could be every experiment including ones that were bad. I can't believe there are so many brews and I've never tried one but this marketing release won't fool me to go out and try the brews. I wish Green King would release a recipe list though.

As expected other forums have picked up on the reciepe release and other people have stated that some of the reciepes don't seem right

As expected other forums have picked up on the recipe release and other people have stated that some of the recipes don't seem right

That recipe 169 contradicts itself so obviously is wrong. I reckon a few others are too. I'm sure it'll get brought to their attention and corrected.

if I remember right from earlier somewhere I read mentioned it does include the experimental beers that didn't go right. I may only end up doing a few of their more well known beers, there's no harm in trying a scaled down version.

Some of the recipes are experimental and look wrong but were just brewed that way. Others I reckon have been calculated wrongly in scaling down to 20 litres. How many I'm not sure, but I would examine the grain percentages carefully. Rules are there to be broken and I like adventurous ideas but things like 35% crystal are not likely to appeal to me.

Personally I don't believe their recipe creation is very good. Their beers haven't impressed me when I've had them, Punk is pretty good, but not much else. Their marketing and ability to grow outstrips the beer big time if you ask me.

This is a fantastic giveaway and really nice gesture. It is also fantastic publicity. Much like Tesla giving away their electric car patents.

As others have noted not everything seems right with the recipes although I think there is enough to go on in most cases.

The thing that seems odd to me is that the attenuation goes up as the OG goes up so their 10% abv beers get 89% attenuation but their 4% beers get 70% attenuation with pretty much the same yeast.

This should be the other way around as the high OG and high alcohol is likely to knock out the yeast earlier. Also the high gravity beers tend to have lots of speciality malts which would also lower attenuation.

I don't think any of this is insurmountable but if you follow their recipe I think you will probably get a different result.

Somewhere in here someone said they don't mention boil times? They do. On about page 3 or 4, where they talk about basic all grain brewing, they recommend 60 minute boils for most types of ales, and 90 minutes for lagers. Guess most folk were chomping at the bit to get to the recipes!

Whilst a nice idea, the cynic in me wonders what next? World domination (or at the least a Brewdog HB shop where you can handily buy any recipe you want - 'just add water'?). But I am a natural cynic.....

Latest posts

Back