Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere in here someone said they don't mention boil times? They do. On about page 3 or 4, where they talk about basic all grain brewing, they recommend 60 minute boils for most types of ales, and 90 minutes for lagers. Guess most folk were chomping at the bit to get to the recipes!

Whilst a nice idea, the cynic in me wonders what next? World domination (or at the least a Brewdog HB shop where you can handily buy any recipe you want - 'just add water'?). But I am a natural cynic.....

When you say "what next", personally I wonder when one of the global beer megacorps will come in to swallow them up. Like what happened with Meantime

Whilst a nice idea, the cynic in me wonders what next? World domination (or at the least a Brewdog HB shop where you can handily buy any recipe you want - 'just add water'?). But I am a natural cynic.....

It will be something like that :twisted:

They're opening their new bar in east London in April that will have 8 pilot kits that you can book on to and brew your own beer. I imagine there will be a lot of handy ingredient packs available for all your favourite Brewdog beers right there for you to purchase.

Aside from that, this is an awesome gesture, and one more breweries should be doing. I know Cloudwater have already said they will be doing it soon. Their DIPA v1.0 blog was incredible for brewing geeks - http://cloudwaterbrew.co/blog/dipa-v10

When you say "what next", personally I wonder when one of the global beer megacorps will come in to swallow them up. Like what happened with Meantime

I hope that won't be the case, granted if breweries keep thier individuism then being swallowed up may give some financial security. It however doesn't always work that way!

Im probably still abit mithed by how Fullers handled Gales brewery or not! Was the case.

They certainly seem to be resisting this but I bet they've had some good offers.

I think this is the idea behind the equity for punks. They crowd fund their capital investments rather than sell a chunk of the business to large corporations. This means they stay in control of the business and they build up a large number of people who literally have a stake in the business and get to buy their beers at a small discount.

They've done a couple of funding rounds this way and have got millions in investment from beer drinkers and opportunistic small investors.

My cousin is a landlord and says they are a nightmare to deal with commercially but I have to day I admire them for growing their business without flogging it to the first mega brewery who waives a wad of cash at them.

Any links about to others who have done something similar?

Not off the top of my head but will have a look later. I don't think anyone has given full details of 200 beers before, but plenty of recipes have been provided. I've come across some while surfing the interweb. Like an article on byo.com where they interview the Fullers head brewer and he gives the recipes to their mainstay beers.

The only thing they've left out, as far as I can see, is the boil length. That may be their secret. Shouldn't be too hard to reverse engineer the recipe to find out. Unless they assume a 60min boil for all of them.

I think it says in the introduction that they recommend a 60 min boil for most ales and 90 mins for most lagers.

I for one look forward to trying these as I love Brewdog stuff so much, I've been a shareholder for quite some time!

At a pure guess, I'd say Punk IPA.

Thanks Herb and Clibit,

I know about Brewdog but can't say I remember tasting it. I'll buy a Punk IPA later for a sample (that shows that this promotion is working) but my reason for asking is to brew it.

I must admit I've never heard of some of the hops they use in some of the recipes including Ahtanum which is in the Punk IPA.

Any links about to others who have done something similar?

Nope, but I've usually had positive responses just e-mailing them directly.

Which i sometimes find weird because there'll be loads of 'clones' on the internet that resemble nothing like the real recipe. Maybe I just catch them on a good day, or maybe people are too afraid to ask.

Proves how much is about 'branding' rather than the beer though. I'm sure some imported west coast IPA would fly off the shelves in most independent off-licences, a licenced version would probably do fairly well too. But if AB-inbev just started making an SNPA clone it'd get the same reception as Carling Cider or Somersby irrespective of how close they got to the original.

That's why Camden Town was worth £87million despite only making a £300k profit.

Thanks Herb and Clibit,

I know about Brewdog but can't say I remember tasting it. I'll buy a Punk IPA later for a sample (that shows that this promotion is working) but my reason for asking is to brew it.

I must admit I've never heard of some of the hops they use in some of the recipes including Ahtanum which is in the Punk IPA.

I wouldn't worry too much about using exactly the same hops. Brewdog themselves changed the hops in 2010. Chinook and Ahtanum are the base. You could use cascade instead of Ahtanum, or maybe Centennial. Then Simcoe and/or Nelson, plus some Amarillo if you have them, either steeped after flame out, or dry hop. In other words simplify it a bit, keep your costs down, it will be barely noticeable. Chinook, Cascade or Ahtanum, Simcoe or Nelson, some Amarillo (or Motueka) if you have it. 3 or 4 hops instead of 6.

Some people preferred the original version which had 4 hops, and used Motueka instead of Amarillo.

I wouldn't worry too much about using exactly the same hops. Brewdog themselves changed the hops in 2010. Chinook and Ahtanum are the base. You could use cascade instead of Ahtanum, or maybe Centennial. Then Simcoe and/or Nelson, plus some Amarillo if you have them, either steeped after flame out, or dry hop. In other words simplify it a bit, keep your costs down, it will be barely noticeable. Chinook, Cascade or Ahtanum, Simcoe or Nelson, some Amarillo (or Motueka) if you have it. 3 or 4 hops instead of 6.

Some people preferred the original version which had 4 hops, and used Motueka instead of Amarillo.

My idea would be to match the beer exactly so I can compare it to the bottle but I also wouldn't want to buy hops for a single use. I may try a couple of their beers later (another excuse to drink!), see which I like the best and then try and clone that.

Last edited:

I preferred the orginal version myself. Even though it appears to be more ibus/bitter (according to thier released recipes) then I had a few 660ml bottles new years eve the newer version appeared more bitter to my taste.

I actually turned to my wife and said it doesn't taste the same in a quite disappointed way. Im one to take new iterations as they are like any reboot of a TV show or film but it just slipped out.

I've had abit more look at this today and there are probably atleast 10 recipes that sound interesting. Some of them using Rye malts which is something I've interest using. Again I haven't had a complete look though so there's probably more.

My wife said I should/could brew more than I do now. She really knows how to fuel this hobbyists obsession.

Back