Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Punk IPA had sold out apart from 4 pack tins and the only Brewdog beer I could get hold of was a "Dead Pony Club".

WOW, delicious. I sat smelling it for 10 minutes before my first taste. I savoured every drop. It wafts of citrus and tastes of earthiness. I wanna brew this but I also wanna taste other flavours. I can see now why Brewdog released these recipes. I'm a fan!

The Dead Pony Club is also a simple recipe with just 3 grains and 3 hops. I'll be giving this a go and comparing to the bottles.

Like others have pointed out also, no matter how or why they have released this. It's easy PR and marketing and going to prove very successful I beleave for them and also somewhat the Home Brew community.

My local HBS today has commented extra Pale malt has proven to be overly popular, largely due to this.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well done and thank you Brewdog.

I suspect that if they decided to sell these recipes in a glossy 300 page book for £30 folk woulda been moaning also.

Personally I'm very grateful for the unexpected but very welcome gift from them :)

The Punk IPA had sold out apart from 4 pack tins and the only Brewdog beer I could get hold of was a "Dead Pony Club".

WOW, delicious. I sat smelling it for 10 minutes before my first taste. I savoured every drop. It wafts of citrus and tastes of earthiness. I wanna brew this but I also wanna taste other flavours. I can see now why Brewdog released these recipes. I'm a fan!

The Dead Pony Club is also a simple recipe with just 3 grains and 3 hops. I'll be giving this a go and comparing to the bottles.

This recipe looked a bit heavy on crystal malt to me, there's definitely a lot of errors and others have mentioned recipes that just look wrong but 22% Cara/crystal in this beer just doesn't seem right to me. Not sure if anyone else has a view?

There's a recipe that has 65 IBUs with 2g of bittering hops and about 7g of late hops. There are loads of errors so tread carefully!

Another marketing stunt? The only people who will be using the reciepe's of course, is us HBers. One of the big reasons we HB is because we don't want to pay pub/supermarket prices. So I don't think they're going to lose out much financially as we wont be buying much if any of they're beer anyway. I think they also know it's quite hard to create an exact clone and the best most HBer's can do is produce a beer 'in the style of'

err. I spent the last 4 days in BD Birmingham, working my way through their beer menu.

but yes those who HB to save money are at the opposite end to BD who will put in what they want to make a brew regardless of cost. - 400g dry hop is not cheap. :eek:
I use 200g-250g and I thought that was bit extravagant ;-)

Dead pony club is banned from my house for being "stinking" not my words of course
I love it,even more when sat in the shed ;)

Are they really "errors"? :whistle: :whistle:

The HP Sauce people moved production from Hull to somewhere in Holland and it now tastes just like any of the hundreds of el cheapo brown sauces that are available at a quarter of the price.

I can imagine how the conversation went in Hull before the move ...

"Okay, we are going to make all of you redundant and move the manufacturing of HP Sauce to Holland.

Oh, can you please let Van Hefling here know the recipe before you all leave?"
I suspect that the "real" HP Sauce had a secret ingredient that was just never passed on to the Dutch 'cos it really doesn't taste the same nowadays! :nono: :nono:

Are they really "errors"? :whistle: :whistle:

The HP Sauce people moved production from Hull to somewhere in Holland and it now tastes just like any of the hundreds of el cheapo brown sauces that are available at a quarter of the price.

I can imagine how the conversation went in Hull before the move ...

"Okay, we are going to make all of you redundant and move the manufacturing of HP Sauce to Holland.

Oh, can you please let Van Hefling here know the recipe before you all leave?"
I suspect that the "real" HP Sauce had a secret ingredient that was just never passed on to the Dutch 'cos it really doesn't taste the same nowadays! :nono: :nono:

Crosse and Blackwell Rich and Fruity, still the best and also dirt cheap.

Clever marketing (cynic alert, stand by). How many, that would never normally, have gone out in search of, and purchased, BD products since this was published? Not an inconsiderable amount I would guess. I should imagine they have seen a considerable boost in sales over the last couple of days, and to be honest I think that was appreciated by them and was a driver behind the venture.

Some of the recipes are beyond belief though, some are the equivalent of saying to make a lovely milky coffee use 500 ml of water a teaspoon of milk 3 tablespoons of sugar and 200 g of instant coffee.
What recipes in particular sound 'off' I might just be
Looking at certain brews but I can't say I've seen any yet

What recipes in particular sound 'off' I might just be
Looking at certain brews but I can't say I've seen any yet
I've only had a very quick look, but when I get a chance I'm going to put #7 through beersmith. It stipulates a grain bill of nearly 12kg for 20l of beer?

I've just done it. Make your own conclusions......

Screenshot_2016-02-27-09-44-47.png

Screenshot_2016-02-27-09-45-09.png

I've only had a very quick look, but when I get a chance I'm going to put #7 through beersmith. It stipulates a grain bill of nearly 12kg for 20l of beer?

I was thinking of doing that with any of their brews and a smart move. just to make sure things add up especially as some hops are on the more expensive side of the scale. Wouldn't want to buy all the ingredients to find that it makes something undrinkable wasting some good quality produce

Their Imperial Stout has something like 14k of grain for 20l. My pump had fun with that while mashing last night......

The only Brewdog beers I've bought more than once arecPunk and 5am Saint. I honestly don't think they are terribly good at creating beers, their talents lie elsewhere. There are much better beers out there to try to emulate in my opinion.

However, I like fact they have been so adventurous in creating recipes, I've had a read through the recipes, (some of which are undoubtedly wrong), and I've picked up some ideas. Hop combinations, grain combinations that might be worth a try.

Will Brewdog correct the mistakes and issue a new version of the recipes? They'll have to surely.

Latest posts

Back