Brewdog punk IPA clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
A clone of Brewdog punk IPA made according to the recipe from their web site being compared with the real thing. The clone is quite a bit darker, stronger and has a much stronger hoppy flavour. Slightly harsher, with a bit more bite, but definitely the same sort of thing. Both taste pretty good!!

Attachments

• 20210526_180438.jpg
    20210526_180438.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 87
Try the hop mix from CML next time it is based on the Punk from @ 2010 I believe so will be a little different from the more modern version.
I liked it you can also get a mix breakdown so you can add a little more of whichever hop you would like to take it whichever way you would like the recipe to goathumb..

I'll look at that....thanks!

I'm surprised how dark it is.....wondering if I made a mistake. Away from home at present so cant check recipe book, but I think it was marris otter / caramalt......

Certainly is an interesting brew though......

I bought the CML punk mix and emailed them to ask what was included. Steve replied straight away.

In each 100g:

Chinook (US) 32g

Willamette or Ahtanum (whatever we have at hand) 23g

Simcoe 17g

Nelson 11g

Cascade US 13g

Amarillo 3g

I made the punk IPA (my first AG) I am more of a larger/cider drinker but learning to like ales a lot more especially when you make them yourself. Doing a taste test against the original it was a lot stronger in flavour and cloudier. Only problem I had was I have to much carbonation when opening the bottle and I didn't use the full amount of honey. But well pleased with my first AG acheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_182746.jpg
    IMG_20210506_182746.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 65
You need to make sure that you are doing the clone of the latest punkipa, they dry hop that one and it's a bit weaker.

I'm going to have a crack at the original, quite appealing as no dry hopping and I still remember it as a great brew.
Quite like the BrewDawg app on the phone. You can input yeasts or malts and other ingredients and it produces a list of their beers and the recipes for them.
It's good when you wonder what to do with grains etc that are leftovers.

I'll report back when I have done my clone but it won't be a side by side.

Last edited:
You need to make sure that you are doing the clone of the latest punkipa, they drop hop that one and it's a bit weaker.

I'm going to have a crack at the original, quite appealing as no dry hopping and I still remember it as a great brew.
Quite like the BrewDawg app on the phone. You can input yeasts or malts and other ingredients and it produces a list of their beers and the recipes for them.

I tried to clone the original and it wasn't as good as the V1 but better than punk ipa V2

@dad_of_jon
There's a lot more to the cloning than just having the recipe. It's what they don't tell you or don't know that matters the most.
I'd be interested if they brewed on homebrew kit these recipes and see how their results come out. Probably similar to ours.
Big volumes, lags for cooling heating all make a difference and their hops are carefully chosen with a known freshness.
That V1 in a way was quite simple when compared to a DDH NEIPA in terms of grain to glass challenges.

You need to make sure that you are doing the clone of the latest punkipa, they dry hop that one and it's a bit weaker.

That's a really good idea....I've a lot of half empty bags of malt and hops. Will look for some suggestions....

I’ve tried a punk clone a few times now and it comes out the same colour as the commercial one (it’s mostly pale Maris otter malt with a bit of caramalt thrown in there) maybe slightly darker but not like a dead pony club colour (I always remember the original one was darker than the current one too).

Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to no chill it after the hopstand on my last 2 brews, ever since then it has turned out better than when I first did it and chilled the wort through my wort chiller. I prefer my attempts as they are hoppier, I put that down to the 30 minute hopstand (that was me misreading the recipe and not hearing the grainfather beeping away like a loon, so it had 10 minutes longer 😂). So my balls up ended up making it better!

Main thing is, if you enjoy what you produce then that is all that matters, it could come out bright pink or green for all I care as long as it tastes good.

Latest posts

Back