Brewdog Slot Machine recipe....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello all
I’m just supping a bottle of this and it’s very good!
Ingredients....extra pale malt,Carafa,crystal,rye. Hops...magnum,Amarillo and callista ibu 55,5.2%...style India pale ale.
Anyone got a suggestion for a recipe please?

Cheers

Clint

Last edited:
Lovely beer. Might be worth emailing them. Had a look in the book but it's not listed. Only the earlier 2017 brews made it in.

I preferred the Shipyard rye pale ale to either the Brewdog slot machine or the Guinness rye pale ale. I don't have a recipe for any but am going to experiment with a little rye substitution in a brew this spring. I read somewhere that rye can make up to 20% of the grain bill but I'm going to go for 8 - 10% as a start.

Still not heard anything but....
There seems to be some confusion on their website site of what actually goes into this....
Some places it says the hops are magnum and Amarillo. ..then it's Amarillo, mandarina bavaria and hallertau blanc....
I've seen different malt types too..including pale,extra pale,carafa,munich and crystal....

Had one last night, enjoyed it, but would say it was a dark version of punk IPA. Just not as bitter

Got the recipe. It’s for a 10,000 litre batch...I’m working on it at the moment to see if the scale down to 23 litres works..or indeed if I can understand what I’m doing!
What I don’t understand is that two of the grist additions are listed as “uncrushed”....these are rye and medium crystal. The other two being propino pale malt and Carafa 3...crushed.
I see no facility to enter uncrushed malt in the brew calculator so entered it as crushed. To get the required abv I had to Up the efficiency to 88%! I understand adding uncrushed malt will lower the efficiency further...
To adjust the grain bill for 75% efficiency do I just increase the base malt or increase all? Hops are added by the 10’s of kgs!! I’ve worked along the guidelines of dividing the 10000 by 23 then dividing the ingredients by that number...l think!
When I get time I’ll try to put the recipe up...

Got the recipe. It’s for a 10,000 litre batch...I’m working on it at the moment to see if the scale down to 23 litres works..or indeed if I can understand what I’m doing!
What I don’t understand is that two of the grist additions are listed as “uncrushed”....these are rye and medium crystal. The other two being propino pale malt and Carafa 3...crushed.
I see no facility to enter uncrushed malt in the brew calculator so entered it as crushed. To get the required abv I had to Up the efficiency to 88%! I understand adding uncrushed malt will lower the efficiency further...
To adjust the grain bill for 75% efficiency do I just increase the base malt or increase all? Hops are added by the 10’s of kgs!! I’ve worked along the guidelines of dividing the 10000 by 23 then dividing the ingredients by that number...l think!
When I get time I’ll try to put the recipe up...
Could i get that recipe?

The way I would do it is divide the ingredients amount by 10,000 then times by 23. Alternatively, Brewtoad actually has scaling options so you can put in a 10,000 L recipe then scale it to 23 litres. Brewtoad also has a tool for adjusting for efficiency, so you can change it from 88% to whatever yours is. When changing efficiency you need to change all fermentables, not just the base malt.

They must be crushing the rye and crystal. I would guess they have just copy-pasted something from their records, and perhaps they happen to have carafa and propino pre-crushed because it was also in the grist for the previous batch, or something like that.

Right...I've crunched the numbers and adjusted for 75% bhe. I selected US 05 yeast so abv is based on this attenuation. All other numbers come in % wise ,og is down 2 points but lower fg gives the correct abv. Just used the forum calculator. Recipe calls for whirlpool hops I selected this as utilisation of 10% and 80°c,please advise if this is wrong!
Here goes...
OG 1.049
FG 1.009
ABV 5.2%
50 IBU

recipe is a stepped mash..I can do single infusion so chose 66°c for 1 hour.

Pale malt,propino 3.9 kg (82.6%)
German rye .543 kg (11.4%)
Med crystal 60 .203 kg (4.2%)
Carafa 3 .135 kg (2.8%)

Hops
Magnum 14% 15.5g @70 mins
Amarillo 9% 11.5g @ 10 mins
Whirlpool
Mandarina bavaria 10% 11.5g
Amarillo 9% 23g
Hallertau blanc 10% 11.5g
Dry hop 14°c
Mandarina bavaria 57.5g
Amarillo 115g
Hallertau blanc 57.5g
There is also a water profile if anyone is interested.
Beer colour recipe is 50 Ebc but I think this is around 30..but not sure.
Anything else..I'll do my best to answer!

Last edited:
Ok...all in kg so ÷ by 10,000 and x by 23 for 23 litre batch....
Calcium sulphate 2.5
Magnesium sulphate 0.4
Calcium chloride 1.5
Sodium chloride 0.8
Also..with abvr of whp whirlpool..
Zinc sulphate heptahydrate 0.02
Calcium chloride 1.5

Interesting thread, thanks. I'm guessing the step mash has a step between 50-60C? A starch conversion to gelatinize the rye. I've not tried this beer yet, looks like it'll have some nice orangy notes.

Always something new to learn....

Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate (ZnSO₄ x 7H₂O)
Zinc is the “bare essential” yeast nutrient. In an all-malt beer, made with high quality malt, a brewer should need nothing else for yeast nutrition. Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate is a simple and effective way to give yeast the nutrient it needs without increasing the amino nitrogen content of wort.

Mash in at 45,raise to 65,10 minute rest,then it looks like raise to 72 for 40 minutes,rest 15,then iodine ph test (5.3),rest 5,mash off 78,sparge 78 with 6400 litres!

Latest posts

Back