Brewdog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlDaviz

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone tried any of the brew’s with success ??

Last edited:
Only just noticed the other thread ! I didnt look very hard :laugh8: maybe try one of them after my Pilsner !!

Jet Black Heart was my first full scale 23 L brew using my grainfather after 3 kits and 4 stove-top 8L batches, my wife still says its the best stout I've made and that I should re-brew it. Dogma is also a good recipe I've heard.

I've downloaded the recipe book for 2019 and I see I've got most of the ingredients for their more easy drinking beers. Although I've had to order some N. Sauvin in specially. Trouble is that I've only ever tasted Punk IPA: it's very nice if under-bittered, but that's easily remedied. I've got Dead Pony, 5 am Saint, Elvis Juice and a couple of others coming from Saveur Bière (they're on sale at the mo, usually they're a silly price) so I can see what they're supposed to taste like. Trouble is I'm not sure what's what: 5 AM comes in bottles, while 5 AM Saint comes in cans. Are they the same beer? Similarly Dead Pony in bottles and Dead Pony Club in cans. Can anyone shed any light?
Any recommendations of what to brew from this collection? I've got quite a pile of hops need using up so might as well get the best out of them.
Thanks in advance.

They are the same beer. Both DPC and 5AM Saint are excellent. I actually think that 5AM Saint is their best core beer. It's a shame they've made it a seasonal-only release now.

BrewDog are currently testing out different filtering methods for Punk, as seemingly they have loads of kegs being sent back from Wetherspoons (quelle surprise) as drinkers don't seem to understand that beer can be hazy. Wetherspoons aside, BrewDog have struggled with consistency on Punk. I tend to go for Thornbridge Jaipur as it's pretty much what the original Punk was like.

I tried an imperial stout Paradox Islay ! Wow, turned out around 10%abv. Was one of the best beers I’ve brewed, I added a Glenfarclas whisky and oak chunks for a week to flavour. it worked out a lot cheaper than brewdogs version which is around £10 a bottle

They are the same beer. Both DPC and 5AM Saint are excellent. I actually think that 5AM Saint is their best core beer. It's a shame they've made it a seasonal-only release now.

BrewDog are currently testing out different filtering methods for Punk, as seemingly they have loads of kegs being sent back from Wetherspoons (quelle surprise) as drinkers don't seem to understand that beer can be hazy. Wetherspoons aside, BrewDog have struggled with consistency on Punk. I tend to go for Thornbridge Jaipur as it's pretty much what the original Punk was like.
I’ve only ever had Jaipur twice but was completely underwhelmed both times. Not very hoppy but over bitter. First time I thought I’d just got an old bottle but the second was the same

Elvis juice says it is intense grapefruit tastes more like oranges than grapefruit to me

I’ve only ever had Jaipur twice but was completely underwhelmed both times. Not very hoppy but over bitter. First time I thought I’d just got an old bottle but the second was the same

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I've experienced with Punk recently. Had a 4pack that was incredibly bitter with very little aroma. I've since had it in bottle, can and on draft and it's been fine, albeit slightly different each time.

Punk is notorious for its ever changing flavour IMO. I don’t know if it’s just variable storage quality but have a pint in one of their bars and it’s a superb pint.

I’ve had some bottles and gone ‘meh’

Agree that 5AM saint is their best core beer as it seems to have consistency.

BrewDog are currently testing out different filtering methods for Punk, as seemingly they have loads of kegs being sent back from Wetherspoons (quelle surprise) as drinkers don't seem to understand that beer can be hazy. Wetherspoons aside, BrewDog have struggled with consistency on Punk.

To be fair, Punk isn't brewed / designed to be hazy, so in this instance Spoons drinkers are 100% correct to return it.

I don't get these recipes in the "Craft Beer for the People" book. Similar but not exactly the same as their online database of everything ever brewed. Consider this: Punk IPA , IBU 35, 20g Chinook (ave 11% alpha) 12.5g Ahtanum (ave 4%) full boil, 20g Chinook and 12.5g Ahtanum mid-boil. 60+ g of various hops at flameout and 180g of various hops for dry hopping. OK
Now 5AM Saint, IBU 35, 2.5g Cascade (ave 6%), 2.5g Amarillo (ave 9%) full boil, 2.5g Nelson Sauvin (ave 11%) mid-boil, 50g various hops at flameout and similar weight of similar hops to Punk IPA for dry hopping.
I don't get it? The bittering should be massively different when they're supposed to be the same. Any ideas, anyone?

I have to concur that jaipur is not a patch on what it used to be like. Either that or the lupulin threshold syndrome strikes again :eek:
Only had it once, years ago from Waitrose. I was expecting more and was disappointed that the beer didn't come up to the hype.
Just had a look on their site:
https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/products/jaipur
I see that they were winning awards until 2016 and haven't won one since. Sounds like some economies might have been made to the recipe.
I recall that I used to drink Marston's Old Empire. I didn't have great expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Used to be quite fairly priced, too.

Last edited:
To be fair, Punk isn't brewed / designed to be hazy, so in this instance Spoons drinkers are 100% correct to return it.

It's no NEIPA, but it always had a haze to it. It is unrecognisably bright these days.

All the cool kids like Cloudwater are using centrifuges these days, but doing it on a Brewdog scale is something else.

The Spoons thing may be a bit of a line to hide the fact they're using centrifuges to increase yields, a lot of beer gets lost in all the hop waste.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back