Brewdog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Spoons thing may be a bit of a line to hide the fact they're using centrifuges to increase yields, a lot of beer gets lost in all the hop waste.

I don't think so. I doubt Wetherspoons would take too kindly to one of their customers lying about them.

I was going to start a thread on the Punk IPA being off
I bought six bottles from Morrisons (660ml) and took four of them back, the two I drunk were cloudy and tasted like a skunked Citra homebrew.
I have since bought 4 small bottles from B&M and 3 were good and 1 the same as before
The shop across from me has the same problem, 1 good 1 bad, there is definitely an ongoing problem with Punk IPA

I was going to start a thread on the Punk IPA being off
I bought six bottles from Morrisons (660ml) and took four of them back, the two I drunk were cloudy and tasted like a skunked Citra homebrew.
I have since bought 4 small bottles from B&M and 3 were good and 1 the same as before
The shop across from me has the same problem, 1 good 1 bad, there is definitely an ongoing problem with Punk IPA

That's interesting. What is the sell-by date on the bottles? I bought a dozen yesterday locally and the 4 the Wise One and I shared were absolutely perfect. The sell by date on my bottles is 20/10/20.

I don't think so. I doubt Wetherspoons would take too kindly to one of their customers lying about them.

I didn't say that no Spoons had never returned a bad keg. But normally a brewery would just shrug its shoulders as a pretty normal thing to happen. I'm saying that they are trumpeting that as the reason for adding further industrial processing steps to their "natural", "craft" beer because it sounds good to say you're responding to customer problems rather than trying to cut returns and (literally) squeeze an extra 10% more beer out of your process. Because worrying about process efficiency isn't very punk, but all businesses have to do it.

Interesting about the variation within a fourpack though, that sounds like a brewery problem rather than problems with wider distribution meaning beer being treated badly in the retail chain.

My wife bought me two shares a few years back, as a shareholder I demand............
Sod it, I will brew my own
Have you got a workable recipe that comes out tasting something like? I've got their recipe, but the IBUs come out at least double the stated 35 IBUs- not counting the massive flame-out and dry hop additions.

That's interesting. What is the sell-by date on the bottles? I bought a dozen yesterday locally and the 4 the Wise One and I shared were absolutely perfect. The sell by date on my bottles is 20/10/20.
They still had a long date but 100% something wasn’t right, I could actually drink it but swmbo couldn’t, that probably says a lot about my brewing skills!
If it said hazy Citra and weed like flavour on the label I would have kept it but I didn’t want to take a chance, the fact it’s happened from 3 different shops means something has went wrong with a large batch that was distributed in Central Scotland
Funny enough my Brewdog login has stopped working and no members forum info available?

I didn't say that no Spoons had never returned a bad keg. But normally a brewery would just shrug its shoulders as a pretty normal thing to happen. I'm saying that they are trumpeting that as the reason for adding further industrial processing steps to their "natural", "craft" beer because it sounds good to say you're responding to customer problems rather than trying to cut returns and (literally) squeeze an extra 10% more beer out of your process. Because worrying about process efficiency isn't very punk, but all businesses have to do it.

Interesting about the variation within a fourpack though, that sounds like a brewery problem rather than problems with wider distribution meaning beer being treated badly in the retail chain.

Seemingly it's been a very high percentage returned from Wetherspoons. Kegged beer should have a low return rate.

I wish mate, I had the diy dog from BrewUK but something went wrong and I ended up tipping the lot of it (£35!)
Well I'm determined to crack this one as the Wise One loves it and it's a lot less scary than the Duvel-Citra at 9½% she knecks down with frightening regularity. If I manage to formulate something that looks as if it might work, I'll post it here.

I had a couple of very nice pints of Punk IPA just before Christmas from my local 'spoons. Not normally the biggest fan of it to be honest, but these went down a treat.

Well I'm determined to crack this one as the Wise One loves it and it's a lot less scary than the Duvel-Citra at 9½% she knecks down with frightening regularity. If I manage to formulate something that looks as if it might work, I'll post it here.
I think it’s a cracking pint, good luck

The hazy Jane recipe in diy dog is very good if neipa is your thing. There’s another thread on it elsewhere.
Jaipur pretty much is punk, one of the founders used to work there and developed the recipe.
my first Neipa, was too bitter, I’d not heard about cooling below 80 deg before adding flame out hops !!
My last version was better, but still progress to make, any help recommendations welcome ??

I have to say the punk in spoons is cheaper and tastes better than punk in brewdog - or could the taste be a psychological thing that in brewdog there are lots of lovelier beers whereas in spoons, now sixpoint is no longer available, punk is the best there is? :?:

Only had it once, years ago from Waitrose. I was expecting more and was disappointed that the beer didn't come up to the hype.
Just had a look on their site:
https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/products/jaipur
I see that they were winning awards until 2016 and haven't won one since. Sounds like some economies might have been made to the recipe.
I recall that I used to drink Marston's Old Empire. I didn't have great expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Used to be quite fairly priced, too.

Old empire is £1.25 @ Sainsbury's cheapest I know off and the shelf is nearly always cleared in my local!

All the cool kids like Cloudwater are using centrifuges these days, but doing it on a Brewdog scale is something else.

The Spoons thing may be a bit of a line to hide the fact they're using centrifuges to increase yields, a lot of beer gets lost in all the hop waste.
I'd imagine the Wetherspoons thing is chill haze with punk IPA being served from T bars!

Hop creep maybe? Can happen in highly hopped beers. Fine when it goes out the door, but can go wrong after that. Answer to that is better filtering I think.
Not saying it is. Just remembered it from one video I watched.

Back