Brewers Clarex

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donjon

Reaction score
I'm using this in my next brew. Any suggestions? I've done quite a lot of googling and although there is some discussion, it appears to be somewhat limited. I'm intending to use Protoflock in the boil @15 minutes too (I assume it's necessary to get rid of other protein bits), then to add this when I pitch my yeast.

This is an experiment too see whether I can make some nice beer for my gluten sensitive friend.

I’ve used this several times now - primarily to get clearer beer but also because my son in law suspected he was gluten intolerant. I used it in when I pitched after protoflack at 15 mins. It didn’t really seem to get the beer that much clearer ( I still had a protein haze) but equally was dead easy to use and had absolutely no adverse impact on the beer which tasted really great - unlike the gluten free beer kit I made which had to be tossed down the sink it was so disgusting. You use very little of it so it works out as only pennies per batch. Only down side i can see is that you can’t prove/guarantee it has made the beer gluten free so it is up to the consumer to decide if they are happy to drink it.

I use Sterilisers, Chemicals and Sundries - NBS Clarity 15ml - The Malt Miller | The Malt Miller in all my brews. I understand it is the same things as Brewers Clarex.
I actually double dose adding 1ml per 25L brew at the time of pitching the yeast. The purpose is to make my beers drinkable by Wifey as she is highly intolerant to gluten. Seems to work.

One day I will send a bottle of my beer for proper testing to see if it is indeed classed as "gluten free".

Sterling. I did batch one last night. I added slightly too much - the vial was just so small and emptied itself. Very excited to see the effect!

Back