Brewer's Friend Calculator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
So something strange happened for the first time. The BF calculator was quite a bit out for my latest recipe. It is normally very accurate but instead of the 19L that I always calculate to, I ended up with 23L and was still 2 points above target OG.

This happened to any of y'all?

It sounds like your system is more efficient than the software setting. I'm not familiar with BF but I assume it is similar to Beersmith. If so, you can gradually increase the Brewhouse Efficiency. To eventually get this set up correctly keep taking all measurements (pre boil specific gravity, pre boil volume, post boil specific gravity, post boil volume). You can then adjust the boil off rate with the Brewhouse Efficiency to match your system.

You could have carried on boiling until you hit approx 19l but your OG would have been significantly higher. Again, for next time increase the Brewhouse Efficiency setting and the software should adjust down the amount of malt required.

Cheers, Ben. Thought I had messed something up. Not that an extra 4L of NEIPA is necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers, Ben. Thought I had messed something up. Not that an extra 4L of NEIPA is necessarily a bad thing.
Exactly! And next time, just take lots of measurements until you've got your system dialed in. Good luck

Back