Brewers Friend or Beersmith

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperbrew

Reaction score
Ok, which is the best one for a beginner to all grain , opinions please before I commit :thumb:

I've never used either but found an app called wort which is free. I thought I'd give that a go before paying for a calculator, and I've found it pretty good so far to be fair.

I tried both when I first started. I found that brewers friend was easy to use and easy to understand, whereas beersmith was like trying to stand up in a dingy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewers Friend for me. Even after buying the Beersmith app, I always find myself returning to Brewers Friend. Which is free.

I started out on BrewTarget which is free. When I switched to Beersmith, I found BrewTarget had a similar format as BS, making it easier to pick up BS, and I could also export my recipes across as .xml files.

I am still on brewmate which was brewers friend before the rebrand.

I assume Brewers friend works now?? when it first changed it was utterly broken.

Each to their own, they both will get the job done. Try both and go with the one that you can understand the best. I'd personally avoid anything where either the software or your recipe data is held on someone else's website because one day, poof, it'll be gone. I'm a paid up Beersmith user myself and have found no limitations. I honestly spend WAY too much time in there tinkering with recipes.

I also use Brew Mate, which looks like what it is - a previous version of Brewers Friend. Apart from more "Corporate" looking graphics, I don't really get what the new one does that I would want to have.

Bs looked to fiddly so went with bf. mostly happy with it although the mash ph predictor is often way off.

I just discovered https://keg.ninja

It's very different and has a few extra features like a tap list and amount of beer remaining etc

Not as fully featured as BF but another option to explore for those interested. I haven't given it a full try out yet, but might dabble with it tonight.

Latest posts

Back