Brewers Friend yeast pitch rate calculator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used to guess and hope for the best with starter sizes and cell count, but now I'm trying to get a good amount of healthy yeast into my wort. I do reuse a lot of yeast from slurry and tend to keep a kilner jar's worth, but obviously can't count the no of cells/ml. Is there a rough estimate to use here?

Jamil Zainisheff says 4.5 billion cells per ml in new, nicely compacted trub. I'll try and find the site where it shows the yeast settling in tubes so you can see the amount of water present as that seemed pretty good. I'll update if I find it.

Ooooh, still looking but loads of other places say it's lower. Brulosophy assume 1.2 billion in dense slurry, many others say around 2.5 billion.

Still looking for that nice one where it shows different compactings.

Last edited:
Jamil Zainisheff says 4.5 billion cells per ml in new, nicely compacted trub. I'll try and find the site where it shows the yeast settling in tubes so you can see the amount of water present as that seemed pretty good. I'll update if I find it.
Great, thanks!

@Drunkula Whoa, there dobbin!! Not so fast. I dont bother using yeast calc simply because is so hard to know how many (bl) cells in a ml of slurry. If you google the question you'll get anywhere from about 2bl to about 5bl. Theres quite a few factors such compactness of the slurry and how big each individual cell is.
I find the best way (unless you have a microscope and hectometer is to repeatedly use the same yeast and note what happens after chucking "some" into you wort. After a while you'll get a feel for how much slurry of that strain to use and can just 'eyeball' it

Latest posts

Back