Brewers Gold Crouch Vale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniele

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an italian homebrewer...i'd like very much this beer "Brewers Gold Crouch Vale".. so you have a recipe?
I've seen on the website and they used extra PALe ale so I think I Will use Simpson extra PALe ale
What about hops or Ibu or FG/OG or yeast?
Do you have a recipe or a clone?
Thanks
Daniele

Looking around
Hi,
I'm an italian homebrewer...i'd like very much this beer "Brewers Gold Crouch Vale".. so you have a recipe?
I've seen on the website and they used extra PALe ale so I think I Will use Simpson extra PALe ale
What about hops or Ibu or FG/OG or yeast?
Do you have a recipe or a clone?
Thanks
Daniele

Apparently they have used pilsner malt in the past but as you say the Crouch Vale website says they now use "100% extra-pale English barley malt and flavoured with heaps of choicest Brewers Gold hops, sourced with care from small-scale growers in the Hallertau"

Brewers Gold was one of the first hops to come out of the Wye College breeding programme and is hardly grown any more, apart from in Germany where they like its soft bittering to make helles. Bullion and Bramling Cross are probably the closest alternatives but are not quite the same.

The Crouch Vale yeast originally came from Young's but I'm not sure what their current arrangements are, whether they've kept that yeast (in which case it will have mutated into a unique strain) or they get it from somewhere else. The new Young's Special is bottle conditioned, but I don't know if it's with the production yeast. Supposedly WLP033 and Wyeast 1768 came from Young's but they're vault/seasonal strains so you don't often see them. Otherwise use a nice English ale yeast like WLP041, or I guess S-04 if you only have dry yeast.

IBU - I'd aim for 35 as a first approximation, see how it goes.

Usually you don't want too low an FG if you're only using extra pale malt, it can get a bit thin otherwise.

Looking around

Apparently they have used pilsner malt in the past but as you say the Crouch Vale website says they now use "100% extra-pale English barley malt and flavoured with heaps of choicest Brewers Gold hops, sourced with care from small-scale growers in the Hallertau"

Brewers Gold was one of the first hops to come out of the Wye College breeding programme and is hardly grown any more, apart from in Germany where they like its soft bittering to make helles. Bullion and Bramling Cross are probably the closest alternatives but are not quite the same.

The Crouch Vale yeast originally came from Young's but I'm not sure what their current arrangements are, whether they've kept that yeast (in which case it will have mutated into a unique strain) or they get it from somewhere else. The new Young's Special is bottle conditioned, but I don't know if it's with the production yeast. Supposedly WLP033 and Wyeast 1768 came from Young's but they're vault/seasonal strains so you don't often see them. Otherwise use a nice English ale yeast like WLP041, or I guess S-04 if you only have dry yeast.

IBU - I'd aim for 35 as a first approximation, see how it goes.

Usually you don't want too low an FG if you're only using extra pale malt, it can get a bit thin otherwise.

Hi, did I understand that Brewers Gold is difficult to find?
I have seen that from Malt MIller it is available. As a yeast I thought of using the Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Thanks
Daniele

Attachments

• 1587748558539.png
    1587748558539.png
    312 bytes · Views: 75
  • 1587748574711.png
    1587748574711.png
    312 bytes · Views: 73
The Crouch Vale yeast originally came from Young's but I'm not sure what their current arrangements are, whether they've kept that yeast (in which case it will have mutated into a unique strain) or they get it from somewhere else. The new Young's Special is bottle conditioned, but I don't know if it's with the production yeast. Supposedly WLP033 and Wyeast 1768 came from Young's but they're vault/seasonal strains so you don't often see them. Otherwise use a nice English ale yeast like WLP041

I am not far from CV and I get over to them when I can for their yeast, they are shut Saturdays and I work in the week so unfortunately it is only a few times a year. Peter the head brewer has told me the yeast originally came from Ridleys in the early 1970's and it is has been re-pitched without any washing or rinsing since. They have also given the yeast to several other Essex small breweries and most of them have registered their strain in the national collection as they have mutated into individual strains. It is a superb yeast and they are always happy to give it to homebrewers I know several who use it.

I am not far from CV and I get over to them when I can for their yeast, they are shut Saturdays and I work in the week so unfortunately it is only a few times a year. Peter the head brewer has told me the yeast originally came from Ridleys in the early 1970's and it is has been re-pitched without any washing or rinsing since. They have also given the yeast to several other Essex small breweries and most of them have registered their strain in the national collection as they have mutated into individual strains. It is a superb yeast and they are always happy to give it to homebrewers I know several who use it.

Waw!!!!! what do you think about a similar commercial yeast? Wlp essex? or a simple S04/London Ale?
Do you something about recipe?
I 've found US Brewers Gold.... it's the same of the German Brewers Gold?

WLP Essex is probably the closest you will get to what CV now use but is not readily available. Any of White labs/Wyeast standard English strains would do a decent job. I would never let SO4 anywhere near any wort of mine full stop.

This in my recipe's idea:

3.9% / 10.5 °P

Batch Volume: 23 L
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU (Tinseth): 32
Color: 5.5 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 52 °C60 min
Temperature — 66 °C60 min
Temperature — 78 °C10 min

Malts (4.25 kg)
4.25 kg (100%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Malt Extra — Grain — 3.4 EBC

Hops (82 g)
12 g (12 IBU) — Brewer's Gold 8.5% — Boil — 60 min
24 g
(15 IBU) — Brewer's Gold 8.5% — Boil — 20 min
46 g
(5 IBU) — Brewer's Gold 8.5% — Aroma — 10 min hopstand @ 85 °C

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1099 Whitbread Ale

Fermentation
Primary — 18 °C/19°C14 days

Ah of course, I'd heard about the Ridley's origin, so many yeast, so little time. Surprisingly Wyeast 1469 is genetically closest to WLP024.

I 've found US Brewers Gold.... it's the same of the German Brewers Gold?

It'll be a bit different. BrewUK have 2017 German BG, MaltMiller have 2018. As I say, they're still quite commonly grown in Germany because of their specific requirement to use them for bittering helles, whereas the rest of the world has moved on to more modern varieties. I'm a bit surprised you can find US BG to be honest.

Ah of course, I'd heard about the Ridley's origin, so many yeast, so little time. Surprisingly Wyeast 1469 is genetically closest to WLP024.

It'll be a bit different. BrewUK have 2017 German BG, MaltMiller have 2018. As I say, they're still quite commonly grown in Germany because of their specific requirement to use them for bittering helles, whereas the rest of the world has moved on to more modern varieties. I'm a bit surprised you can find US BG to be honest.

Yes, my shop have US Brewers Gold

Wibblers brewery also sell their yeast in their online shop, their strain is from Crouch Vale, should be pretty similar, but it needs a starter.

Wibblers brewery also sell their yeast in their online shop, their strain is from Crouch Vale, should be pretty similar, but it needs a starter.

I've seen but seems that tey dont'ship in italy!

Looking around

Thanks for the heads up on this NB. I've been looking for a replacement for my Gales yeast ever since I lost it and Fullers stopped producing bottles of Gales HSB. I take it the Youngs is a whitbread deriviative like Gales? (I seem to recall I read somewhere or other the Wibbler strain is a whitbread strain so the crouch vale/youngs strain would be too?)

Edit: I just looked on the wibblers site, it was there that I read their yeast is a whitbread strain. However Wibblers say they got their yeast from crouch vale who got it from Ridleys not Youngs :?:

https://www.wibblers.co.uk/product-category/homebrew-yeast/

Last edited:
Crouch vale first used Youngs for a short period of time then switched to Ridley's and have been using it since. The original Ridley's yeast had come from Whitbread a very long time ago. Wibblers yeast is from Crouch vale and although may have started life from Whitbread it has changed to the extent that Wibblers is now stored in the national collection in is own right. I had a conversation with the beer writer Ron Pattinson several years back who believes all the London brewers would have swapped yeasts with each other years ago before they started to employ chemists.

Crouch vale first used Youngs for a short period of time then switched to Ridley's and have been using it since. The original Ridley's yeast had come from Whitbread a very long time ago. Wibblers yeast is from Crouch vale and although may have started life from Whitbread it has changed to the extent that Wibblers is now stored in the national collection in is own right. I had a conversation with the beer writer Ron Pattinson several years back who believes all the London brewers would have swapped yeasts with each other years ago before they started to employ chemists.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I might culture up a bottle of Youngs and see how I get on with it anyway :hat:

Latest posts

Back