Brewery assistant.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A dream job if you could live off £5 to £9 per hour, if they had said plus a crate of beer a month they would swing it ;)

Brewery Assistant
Lakeland Brewhouse
Ulverston LA12
Permanent

https://uk.indeed.com/company/Lakel...2586b97e111c7d4d?fccid=084a9bc9d9b8ab0a&vjs=3
Lakeland Brewhouse (formerly Stringers Beer) is an already established, award winning brewery which has seen year on year growth of its cask ale sales to pubs and bars.

2021 has seen the brewery move to a space 4 x the size and upgrade to a brand new 10BBL Brewkit, along with opening a tap bar later this year and launching an E-commerce website.

We are currently looking to recruit a brewery assistant to join us on our expansion journey, working directly with our brewers.

A keen interest in real ale/craft beer is a must, along with a desire to learn to everything there is to know about beer and the brewing industry.

This role may lead to a trainee brewer for the right candidate, and would be perfect for starting your career in the beer/brewing industry.

Due to the nature of the work, applicants must be physically fit and capable of lifting.

Day to day responsibilities include but are not limited to:

Cask washing, racking, cleaning, assisting the head brewer on brewing days, using Brewman computer Software, and assisting with the fulfilment of online orders.

Working Hours are Monday - Friday

Company Benefits include

Lakeland Brewhouse beer allowance each month

Monthly craft beer subscription from Beer Wolf in Ulverston

30% off food, drink & hotel stays in Lakeland Inns pubs

Beer Tasting and Visits to National Beer Festivals

Access to training through Institute of Brewers and Distilling

Job Type: Permanent

Salary: £5.00-£9.00 per hour

Benefits:

• Bike to work scheme
  • Company pension
  • Discounted or free food
  • Employee discount
Schedule:

• 8 hour shift
  • Day shift
  • Monday to Friday
Work remotely:

• No

Minimum wage at 21....£8.92.
For such a niche product and opportunity I think its a bit low..especially at the younger side.
Edit..
Assistant...well maybe there may be future opportunities...but they should say .

Minimum wage at 21....£8.92.
For such a niche product and opportunity I think its a bit low..especially at the younger side.
Edit..
Assistant...well maybe there may be future opportunities...but they should say .

I think they will call it an apprentice so they may be a able to get away with the low pay, if i was 18 and out of work i could think of a lot worse places to start my working career.

To be honest you could walk to the brewery in 15 minutes from the outskirts of town.

Not bad perks -

Company Benefits include

Lakeland Brewhouse beer allowance each month

Monthly craft beer subscription from Beer Wolf in Ulverston

30% off food, drink & hotel stays in Lakeland Inns pubs

Beer Tasting and Visits to National Beer Festivals

Access to training through Institute of Brewers and Distilling

I think they will call it an apprentice so they may be a able to get away with the low pay, if i was 18 and out of work i could think of a lot worse places to start my working career.

There's a lot more to it that just calling it an apprentice role though! They'll need to offer specific training (an apprenticeship as a Brewer usually lasts a minimum of 18 months!) , and importantly, give time for training or study during their working week (at least 20% of their normal working hours).

Don't wish to sound condescending but I don't know how people manage on such low wages, £9/hr isn't much let alone £5/hr. I'd consider doing something like this when I've had enough of career work, am winding down to retirement, and just want to do something for fun. But I'm not sure if they'd want some old duffer on that basis and I'm not sure how much graft would be involved and how much grafting I'd want to be doing at that age.

For someone younger I guess it could be seen as a stepping stone into something a bit better paid within that industry or even eventually setting up a brewery yourself.

My wife does a job that's around the £9/hr mark, not because we need the money, she just feels that she wants to put a bit back into society and works for AgeUK helping out the old folk. Again not wanting to be condescending but it's more a job done for the love of it rather than something you could live off. It's her occupational therapy qualifications and experience that drives her to do this stuff, she could be earning much more back in that role but with the pressures of a young family at the moment the career break is suiting her well.

As above, nice opportunity for future progression potentially but the remuneration is a dilemma. I've been thinking about a brewing job of some form.

I earnt £5 p/h as a furniture restorer/cabinet maker fresh out of college in 1986.
It wasn't much even then but I was learning my trade and probably cost my boss a few quid
getting up to speed and ruining the odd piece of wood !

Trouble with apprentices is you can spend years teaching them all you know while they make mistakes learning,
then when they've qualified they're likely to go off to work for someone else.

Brewery assistant has the potential to lead to an interesting career especially if the employer is willing to fund
vocational training, sort of thing I'd have gone for at that age.

As above, nice opportunity for future progression potentially but the remuneration is a dilemma. I've been thinking about a brewing job of some form.

Its quite a small brewery i guess they cannot afford to pay more at the moment and maybe that will change if they become more popular.

Last edited:
I used to work in B&Q as a youngster for £6 something an hour… worst job ever 😂 that was a few years ago now but I think it’s a good start for someone who wants to start brewing. I wish I had such an oportunity! Definitely a job aimed at a person starting out in life.

Only apprentices and under 18 can earn £5 an hour. Doubt they will be getting many applicants.

It does make me wonder why they have stated £5 to £9 per hour.

Are the admins able to forward this to 18 year old me? Must warn you that I’m 45 and I didn’t have an email address for in 1994!

It's £5 for under 18's, rising to £9 for over 23's. I'm guessing you would need to be 18 to work in a brewery (especially as half the perks are to do with drinking beer!!) so the starting wage should be £6.56

These rates are for the National Living Wage (for those aged 23 and over) and the National Minimum Wage (for those of at least school leaving age). The rates change on 1 April every year.

23 and over21 to 2218 to 20Under 18Apprentice
April 2021£8.91£8.36£6.56£4.62£4.30
Apprentices
Apprentices are entitled to the apprentice rate if they’re either:

• aged under 19
  • aged 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship
ExampleAn apprentice aged 21 in the first year of their apprenticeship is entitled to a minimum hourly rate of £4.30.
Apprentices are entitled to the minimum wage for their age if they both:

• are aged 19 or over
  • have completed the first year of their apprenticeship
ExampleAn apprentice aged 21 who has completed the first year of their apprenticeship is entitled to a minimum hourly rate of £8.36.

I actually applied for this but didn't hear anything, but I also applied to some other breweries and had an interview at one, they let me work a full day there doing the brew.

Me and the brewer brewed one of their core beers, I think we brewed something like 4,000 litres - strange to be weighing out hop additions by the kilo. I was sort of hoping I wouldn't like it because there is a pay discrepancy compared to what I'm doing now, but to be honest it was probably the best days work I've ever done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back